Swinging chickens upside down?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jermoatc, Jul 19, 2011.

1. jermoatc

jermoatc Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Lake Crystal, MN
    I had a lady tell me to swing my broody hen upside down to break her of her broodiness. Anybody know if this works or not?

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

First, it is rather cruel and this tend to choke the chicken. Second, it is an old wives tale with no factuality. It likely "broke" one hen, one time, a hundred years ago and the myth gets repeated and repeated. Sort of like the feeding them corn "warms them up" myth. [​IMG]

3. raro

raro Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2010
    Along the same idea...When I bought my first hens, the farmer I bought them from held them upside down by their feet. He said it "kept them calm." Maybe that's where the idea came from? I don't know, but it was weird to see him gather my girls like that. I wanted to tell him, "Hey, those are my girls you're dipping upside down!" but I was too new to know any better anyway. I don't know, it kept the birds quiet, but I agree with Fred, I think it's rather cruel.

4. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    I think its just an old wives tale.

I hang my chickens upside down when I dust them though. It really does have a calming effect and makes things much easier.

5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Big difference in holding, gently, upside down when catching/collecting them, then gathering them in your arms properly. I do this all the time.

The OP asked about "swinging a hen upside down". THAT is what I would consider on the cruel side of things. Just for clarity.

6. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I agree that is a cruel thing to do!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by