Swinging Perches

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by pawsplus, Jun 15, 2011.

1. pawsplus

pawsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    Does anyone have swinging perches? I'm obsessed w/ the Norfolk Botanical Gardens eaglets (who had to be removed from their wild nest when their mom was killed by an airplane [​IMG] and who are now living at the Wildlife Center of VA preparing to be released in August), and they have swinging perches to simulate moving tree branches. I wondered if my girls would appreciate such a thing.

Anyone used them? Do chickens like them?

Thanks! [​IMG]

2. Love my Critters!

Love my Critters! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Carlsbad, NM
    IMO I don't think chickens like things that move. That is why the feeders and waterers are hanging so the chickens won't roost or sit on them.

3. Huskeriowa

Huskeriowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2010
    Iowa
    My Coop
    Hi,

This is what I did. Its just an old tree tied with some ropes. They sit on it often.

Good luck

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. pawsplus

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    I love the way you hung it! That looks great and is exactly what I had in mind. [​IMG] I'll give it a try!

5. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

I would not even think about a moving roost. Chickens are not gracefull and I feel you are asking for injuries. Comparing the needs of a eagle that is being rereleased into the wild to that of a chicken who is a domestic is unwise and irresponsible

6. Huskeriowa

Huskeriowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2010
    Iowa
    My Coop
    I am sure I wouldn't have it if it did 'swing' a lot. I don't see it as being irresponsible but everyone is entitled to their opinion. Its only three feet off of the ground and doesn't move very much when they jump up or down. Even when the wind blows hard it doesn't really move. The tree trunk is heavy enough to keep it centered. Mainly I just liked the looks and the chickens seem to like the feel of it.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  7. pawsplus

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    LOL -- my hen Clarice was a stray who lived for 5 mos free on my farm until we finally were able to catch her. She roosted up in trees at night (quite high!) and did just great. My hens jump down from their 7 foot roosts in their henhouse every a.m. w/out hurting themselves. I think they're a lot more competant than you seem to, and a perch a few feet off the ground is child's play to them. [​IMG]

The person above uses a swinging perch w/out injury and so have others--I did a search on the forum and there are many examples. [​IMG]

Anyway, I'm not worried about injury, given all the above. I'm just wondering if they will USE it, and it seems to be likely that they will, so it's worth doing. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    The main thing to remember is that chickens don't "curl" their feet to grip a perch very well. That's why "roost" is really what they do. I use a 2" x 4" piece of lumber, widest sides up/down. They prefer to sit on it, and in cold climates they hunker down to keep their feet warm. I do keep some large diameter branches in the run, they have great fun on them during the day. At night they roost on the 2" x 4" roost in the coop.

Chickens do enjoy a big branch like Husker has, more for play, though. Mine like having things to play on. I even gave them sawhorses, they like them a lot, as well as the branches.

9. pawsplus

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    Yes, that's what I'm planning to offer it for--play and fun. Their "real" roosts (for sleeping) are nice and solid. [​IMG]

10. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:Sounds good to me. Just keep the movement to a low level, they'll use it if they like it and won't if they don't.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by