Swinging plexiglass flap for pop door?

welsummer4

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 16, 2010
Has anyone tried using a swinging plexiglass flap for their pop door to keep the cold out of the hen-house in the winter? Sort of like a dogdoor, I guess.

I've read of the sliced, heavy vinyl flaps being used by a few people. They trained the chickens by pinning up sections at first, and then gradually releasing them until the chickens felt comfortable pushing their way through. Not sure about a solid flap though....
idunno.gif

Some people do use rigid cat-flaps like that, although the consensus seems to be that it is easier to train chickens to use something flexible like a curtain or plastic strips.

I use overlapping plastic strips (very heavy translucent plastic shelf-liner from Walmart), probably 8" or so wide and overlapped for almost half their width so that less wind gets through. A pen of chickens (or turkeys) *totally* new to them has to have most of the strips removed or pinned up, gradually letting one down every few days or week as they get the hang of it, but thus far all my chickens eventually HAVE figured it out, even the dimmest.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom