switch from stater to grower?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by bleith, Aug 11, 2011.

1. bleith

bleith Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    West Dundee IL
    I have 4 12 week old chicks and they finally are about done with the starter. do I switch to grower now? and for how long? then when do I go to layer and start adding oyster shells?

Currently they range in the yard for 8-12 hours a day and have starter feed and water available all day

2. turbodog

turbodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Independence, La.
    My bunch are mostly about a week older than yours and I've just run out of my last bag of starter. I'm gonna be getting grower now. I've got a mixed age flock and the roosters don't need the extra calcium, so I don't think I'll go to a layer when the oldest start laying. I intend to just keep feeding grower and supplement the calcium with free choice oyster shell.
    Not sure if you need to add oyster shell if you are going to feed layer feed. I believe that is already supplemented with extra calcium. 'Course I doubt the oyster shell will hurt them if you did.
    As for when to go to layer, you can do that when they get to an age that you should start expecting them to lay (that may depend on the breed but I think it's usually around 20 weeks give or take). Or just wait till you get your first egg, then you'll know for sure they'll be needing the extra calcium.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  3. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I start them on a flock raiser type feed as soon AFTER 12 weeks and their starter bag runs out.

I never put layer or oyster shell out until all are at aminimum of 18 weeks and I see the first egg.

4. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Our store doesn't sell flock raiser. We are feeding unmedicated until the youngest are 18 weeks old. My chicks range from 15-22 weeks right now. I feed oyster shell on the side for the older girls.

5. Miss717

Miss717 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Rushville, NE
    All my girls get oyster shell. but it's so coarse they don't actually eat it anyway. Is there a problem with starting oyster shell too young? My youngest birds are probably 12 weeks old and started oyster shell when they were 9 or 10 weeks.

6. turbodog

turbodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Independence, La.
    Quote:They don't need the extra calcium until they get to laying age, but I would think that as along as it's free choice you should be ok.

7. Miss717

Miss717 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Rushville, NE
    I mix hen scratch, layer feed and oyster shell all together and feed it all around. Still ok?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by