Switch to Layer or Stay on Grower?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mshap, Nov 1, 2010.

1. mshap

mshap Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2010
    Southern CA
    Hello,

My three girls are 21 weeks old and are not yet laying. My bag of grower crumbles is almost gone. Should I purchase another bag of grower feed since they're not yet laying or should I go ahead and get layer feed?

Thank you for your suggestions.

Helen

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Stay on grower. If they start to lay while you have some left, just put out some crushed oyster shell, free choice.

I don't even use layer feed, as I have so many different ages of chickens in my flock. I keep the oyster shell out for them, and have very nice, hard-shelled eggs.

3. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Quote:X2

4. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
  5. Fox&hen

Fox&hen Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2010
    starter/grower is medicated. Does that matter as far as eating the first eggs before switching to layer?

6. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Fox&hen :

starter/grower is medicated. Does that matter as far as eating the first eggs before switching to layer?

If at all possible it would be a good idea if you switched off medicated feed at about 8/9 weeks. They shouldn't need it past that time and it would be out of their system by the time they started laying.​

7. mshap

mshap Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2010
    Southern CA
    Thank you to everyone that replied to my question and for the referral to the previous thread (don't know how I missed it). The feed they're currently getting is actually a starter/grower feed (non medicated) and is 22% protein. I'll go ahead and purchase another bag of this and continue feeding as I have. When they start laying I'll add the calcium. There's not any problem feeding this this amount of protein.

Once, again, thank you all for your input. This is my first time having chickens and I have found this message board to be a valuable resource.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by