Switched Nutrena Food for MannaPro - No eggs!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Diesel84, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Diesel84

Diesel84 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2010
    Gotha
    So I went out of town and had a friend watching my girls for me while I was away.. came back home and realized I was out of food! I had to work and my normal feed store across town was closed, so I went to the one near my job that only sells Manna Pro egg layer - I like it better, not as dusty. My girls seemed to like it too, I fed them immediately. I noticed however that now they've almost completely stopped laying.. I know I should've transitioned their food, [​IMG] but I didn't have enough left of the Nutrena to do so. Will their digestive tract go back once they get used to the new food? Or do I need to switch back to Nutrena? Anyone else have this experience? They're only about 8 months old and are not moulting.. here in FL the coldest it's gotten is 60 degrees, we're back to 80's today so it's not the weather..
    Shame on me.. I know!

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    They should get back on track soon! Just be patient!! [​IMG]

3. Diesel84

Feb 11, 2010
    Gotha
    I'm soOoOoo impatient!

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Chickens hate change! Stick with the new feed if you like it better. As soon as they adapt to the change, they'll start laying. (Unless all of this is coincidental with the shortening day length.[​IMG])

5. Diesel84

Feb 11, 2010
    Gotha
    How soon should I expect them to start back again? It's been well over a week and I haven't gotten a single egg from 2 of my girls.. Should I switch back? or just keep on the food I have now? My 3rd layer has kept on laying, but she had just started when I switched food. They've only been laying for maybe a month or so

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If you switch back, it will constitute another change. Chickens lay less eggs as the daylength shortens. Are you providing supplemental light?

7. Diesel84

Feb 11, 2010
    Gotha
    Yes - They have an outdoor open bottomed run that they are able to hang out in all day and pick for bugs.. They rarely spend time in their doghouse/coop - only to sleep!

8. Diesel84

Feb 11, 2010
    Gotha
    Ok - it's officially been over 2 weeks and still no eggs... Is this even normal? What do I do?!

9. Hound

Hound Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    It's most likely coincidental, most hens slow down or stop laying at this time of year.

10. GoldenCometLady

GoldenCometLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Walker, West Virginia
    I do believe you would be getting less daylight and that would account for
    the slow down in egg laying. If you do want more eggs put a light in the
    coop to come on early in the morning so it will translate into 14hrs of daylight.
    Let them go to roost at the regular time this plan has worked for me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by