switched roos, who is fertilizing the eggs?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by shennessey818, Feb 17, 2015.

1. shennessey818

shennessey818 Chirping

Jun 1, 2014
    Michigan
    so i switched my roos out on jan 6. My question is the ee i put with my hens the one fertilizing the eggs? My eggs are fertile. Just didnt known if enough time have past since its the 17th of feb Now. Thanks

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member 9 Years

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    By my calculations the original rooster has been gone for 42 days. Fertile eggs are a result of the EE. The rule of thumb (not infallible) is after the removal of a rooster hens retain high fertility for 2 weeks, moderate fertility for 3 weeks, and some fertility for 4 weeks.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Free Ranging 9 Years

Feb 2, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    I’ll give some information that may come in handy sometime but for now you are good to go. That’s been six weeks.

It takes about 25 hours for an egg to go through a hen’s internal egg making factory. It can only be fertilized during the first few minutes of that journey. If a mating takes place on a Tuesday. Tuesday’s egg will not be fertile. Wednesday’s egg might or might not be, I would not count on it. Thursday’s egg will be fertile. Of course this is after a successful mating. A rooster does not mate with every hen every day and not all matings are successful.

The fluffy shake after a mating is how the hen moves the sperm to a special container for storage. Most of us use two weeks as a minimum that she will remain fertile but some last more than three weeks. So to clear a hen’s system out, if you wait three weeks you are pretty safe. If you wait four weeks you are extremely safe.

4. shennessey818

shennessey818 Chirping

Jun 1, 2014
    Michigan

Thank you both so much. I appericate the help. Im thought it was him by now lol so im so glad i was right.now to start collecting to hatch :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: