Switched to aspen shavings: chicks eating it, scratching themselves

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jillh, Jul 31, 2010.

1. jillh

jillh New Egg

Jul 31, 2010
    I have a batch of 12-day old chicks that I've had on paper towels since day one and 5 days ago I put aspen shavings on the floor and covered them with more paper towels, planning to take them off 5 days later (today). Well, I took the paper towels off today so it's just the shavings and I'm worried because the chicks seem to be eating the shavings (or at least pecking at them an awful lot) and scratching themselves as if they're very itchy all over. About half of them are at least partially covered in shavings, either from "dust bathing" in them or from them being kicked up on them from the other chicks; they're also kicking them up into their food and water.

So is this normal/anything to worry about?? I'm concerned it might harm them in some way. The shavings are LM Animal Farms Aspen Bedding (link) if that makes any difference. Has anyone else here had experience using this stuff? Or know if this sort of thing is normal/okay? Thanks for the help.

2. midd2005

midd2005 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Oahu
    i did the same yesterday but with pine pellets and they were definitely munching on them for a little while. but then they seemed to figure it out. no one is eating them today and everyone is still alive for now and i haven't noticed any enormous crops or particularly off poop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by