Switched to Organic feed and P.U!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Tambo26, Sep 10, 2016.

1. Tambo26

Tambo26 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Orrington, MAINE
    Wondering if anyone else has found this: A month ago I switched my girls to an organic feed. I have 5 year old hens and I want them to be as healthy as possible for as long as possible! They were slow to eat much of it at first. They're eating it just fine now but the smell..... the coop has never been smelly... I clean that sucker weekly. It now has a very sweet..STINK... no matter what I do! (not the typical chicken coop stink) One of them is having a poopy butt problem too.... I almost feel like I want to switch back to the old feed!

2. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    Hmmm, you changed feed (organic or whatever) and suddenly your old hens have developed a digestive problem??? I know what I'd be doing!!!! :)

Best wishes,
    Ed

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    What is the protein % of the two feeds?
    Did you switch gradually by mixing feeds?

Have you ever given probiotics?

4. Tambo26

Tambo26 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Orrington, MAINE
    I have purchased a bag of their previous feed. I'm going to mix the two and ease them back into the old stuff. Yes, I've done probiotic and will be doing that today! Aaaaand a butt bath for my big Punkin... that should be fun... she's never had one in the 5.5 years I've had her! LOL!
    [​IMG]

5. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    Ya'll will have a whole new respect each other in an entirely new way afterwards!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by