switched to organic feed, less eggs

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by catterbug, Dec 28, 2010.

1. catterbug

catterbug Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    Ohio
    I switched to organic feed about 2-3 weeks ago. I have 8 chickens and I am getting about 1-4 eggs a day. Of course when the weather got colder and there was less light we started getting less eggs but the last week or so we are getting even less. I also notice that I am not filling the feed up as much as I was prior to the organic feed. Could this also be just the weather etc?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Try going back to your old feed and see what happens.

3. UrbanGrower

UrbanGrower Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    West Jordan, UT
    Does the mix tell you what's in it? What is the protein content? Even in growing produce, organic doesn't always mean better yield, or better for you for that matter.

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Yeah, the feed should have a list of percentages, i.e. protein, calcium, lysine, etc.. Compare that to your old feed. Is it an organic layer ration?
    Could also be coincidence. I was bragging that I was getting 8-10 eggs a day from 10 birds, today only 5.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  5. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I was getting 8-10 eggs a day until last week, now I'm getting one or two... I thought they would slow down when the weather got cooler and the days short... not in the MIDDLE of winter... lol... Probably just coincidence...

6. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I suspect the organic feed is formulated to meet nutritional needs of your layers (i.e. total protein, amino acids, fatty acids, energy etc.). My bet is that the feed contains little or no animal protein. If latter correct the feed may not be as palatable as your old feed. Fishmeal is tasty relative to a lot of grain meals. If intake reduction delayed as you indicate, then that may be an indication a nutrient or two, vitamin(s) or fatty acids maybe short. Eitherway, to prevent need for throughing feed out, mix with your standard diet. Should result in increased feed intake.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by