1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Switched to sand in small coop, so far loving it.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by bahamabanty, Feb 4, 2014.

1. bahamabanty

bahamabanty Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2013
    Bahamas
    I switched to (construction) sand inside my small raised coop (3'x4') for 6 chickens. I read it on the chicken chicks blog. It has been really good so far. In the morning I use my rusty deep fryer spoon
    [​IMG]
    to scoop out the poop from under the roost, dispose of it and thats it.
    I wish I had done this sooner.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Yep sand is awesome! Kitty litter scoop is what I use.

3. bahamabanty

Oct 9, 2013
    Bahamas
    there is no smell! I only have 6 chickens maybe thats it but once they leave the coop in the morning and I scoop out the poop (1 minute) thats it for the rest of the day.
    I have a huge 20'x 20' run with dry leaves so there is no real smell there either. If I had known this sooner.

4. HardisonHens

HardisonHens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2014
    Willard NC
    How deep do you keep the sand in the coop? And do you have any concerns about it being colder than straw/shaving are during the winter?

5. bahamabanty

Oct 9, 2013
    Bahamas
    [​IMG]

This is an old picture of the inside of my coop, excuse the looks, it works for me. I replaced the leaves with sand, there is a board of about 5 inches all around. OK it might not work in colder climates I dont know, I am in the Bahamas, so the climate is like south florida, we dont have real winters, just cold fronts. Its always pleasant and in the summer it gets extremely hot, so I figure the sand will keep it super clean and cool. During the day they dont come in here to poop, just lay. I will take one with the sand this evening.
    I used to replace the leaves every Sunday morning, so around Thursday/Friday I started to notice a poop smell whifting from the coop! I dont mind the farm smell but with our heat I wanted to minimize it as much as possible. Now I dont smell anything. It gets buried in the morning by the bananas. :)
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/09/chicken-coop-bedding-sand-litter.html

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by