Switched to shavings and the chicks are eating them!!!

chickie-is-obsessed

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 20, 2010
Belleville, Ontario
My chicks are now 2 weeks old so I thought I'd start using shavings instead of paper towel. They poop so much and I work all day so I can't be there to keep laying new toweling. I found with the Silkies especially, they were getting poop balls on their feet. I had to wash them in the bathroom sink.....my daughter was not impressed
barnie.gif
Anyway, I spread some out in their brooder and the little buggers are eating them!!! I know some of them are just picking and playing, but a few of the Silkies are pretty serious about eating them. I tried distracting them with a plate of mashed boiled egg and it worked for everone...except for one determined Silkie! If they are only eating really teeny pieces will it hurt them? I covered the shavings up with more paper towel otherwise I won't sleep tonight worrying about it.
hmm.png
Any advice out there?

As long as the shaving's aren't cedar I wouldn't worry too much.About the only time I start any chick or duckling out on anything other than shaving's are a splay leg chick which I havent gotten in forever or few day old duckling's.I found through internet that best for those is rubber shelf lining.The chick's will pick at the shaving's naturaly.I have left the rubber shelf lining in on ocassion with pine shavings on top.I would just roll the whole thing up shake the chips off and spray the liner off with water hose and let dry outside.I don't put newspaper because of the ink in them.

My chicks pick at their shavings all the time. They even scratch around in them it is so funny to watch. The first day I had them on paper towels until I was sure they knew where their food was. I am sure they will be fine.

My 17 various chicks were on just pine shaving from the time they left the incubator and right away started eating then. I was too ignorant at the time and figured it was normal or they were part termite. All 17 are now almost 4 weeks old, they have stopped eating the shaving and seem to be fine. Maybe it was just luck. Now when I open their brooder/hen house at night, can't stop looking at them, a few winged bugs fly in attracted by the light I guess, and they snatch them up...so fast. Now I worry about it, so I've given them some grit.

My 17 various chicks were on just pine shaving from the time they left the incubator and right away started eating then. I was too ignorant at the time and figured it was normal or they were part termite. All 17 are now almost 4 weeks old, they have stopped eating the shaving and seem to be fine. Maybe it was just luck. Now when I open their brooder/hen house at night, can't stop looking at them, a few winged bugs fly in attracted by the light I guess, and they snatch them up...so fast. Now I worry about it, so I've given them some grit.

I asked about this a while back and most people on this board insist that shavings are fine. I know a lady who has raised chickens for 20-something years and she insists that chicks will eat the bedding and that some will die. I didn't want to risk it, even though people here on the board said it was silly. But my gut instinct is more important than popular opinion, and so I stick with paper towels. I just add a layer when it gets yucky, and then every few layers I take it out & start again. The best part is that the paper towels can be composted, and the chick poop is great for the compost, so I'm okay with paper towels. It also allows me to check out their poop easier to look for runny poop or anything unusual that might have otherwise gone unnoticed in wood shavings. Plus, wood shavings leave a lot of dust.

Thanks everyone! They are all fine this morning. They pulled back the paper towel in places and shavings are everywhere but they are still kicking
tongue.png
I've got to stop being such a worrier.

Love my chickies!!
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom