Switching 8 week olds to layer feed... yes, no???

StaatsFarms

Songster
10 Years
Jun 30, 2009
Nebraska
I have fifteen 8 weeks olds that I would like to put out with the rest of the flock. Has anyone switched theirs off of grower and on to layer feed this early? any suggestions/ comments would be great!!!

It's better to switch them over to layer food when they are 16 weeks old. The high calcium content can cause damage to their organs when they are younger.

The easiest solution is to put everyone on Flock Raiser which is basically for chicks, layers, and roosters, and is a little higher protein. Then you put out crushed oyster shell (available at TSC for $9 for 50 lb. which will last a long time) and the hens that need it will eat it. You could also use unmedicated chick feed. Don't feed chicks layer feed under 16 weeks--it is bad for their kidneys (too much calcium.)

Best thing you could do is feed everyone a good Starter/ Grower [one thats around 20%] if you cant find a Starter/ Grower feed then just use a non-medicated Chick Starter.

Chris

No. Laying hen feed has calcium in it, which can cause kidney damage in chicks. Also, I'm not a fan of the "grower" or "all-for-one" type feeds. Those are usually for birds that are destined for meat or only one laying cycle. Also, read the label carefully. TS was offering a "show" feed with medication in it - but the drugs were not clearly labeled on the front of the bag. Laying hens should get no more than 16 % protein (in fact, too many meal worms can cause kidney damage!) Chicks need upwards of 18%. I have a FAQ about backyard hen feeding here:
http://hencam.com/faq/what-to-feed-your-chickens/

No. Laying hen feed has calcium in it, which can cause kidney damage in chicks. Also, I'm not a fan of the "grower" or "all-for-one" type feeds. Those are usually for birds that are destined for meat or only one laying cycle. Also, read the label carefully. TS was offering a "show" feed with medication in it - but the drugs were not clearly labeled on the front of the bag. Laying hens should get no more than 16 % protein (in fact, too many meal worms can cause kidney damage!) Chicks need upwards of 18%. I have a FAQ about backyard hen feeding here:
http://hencam.com/faq/what-to-feed-your-chickens/
A lot has to do with what breed you are feeding and if they are from a hatchery or breeder stock.
You put my Exhibition Rhode Island Reds on a 16% protein they may hold weight but that is it. In order for a lot of your Large Fowl Breeder Quality bird to hold weight, lay eggs and produce healthy chicks at hatch you are going to need a little more than 16% protein. As for chicks, again it depends on the fowl.

Also Grower Feed can be used on all types of chicken and it is not "destined for meat or only one laying cycle" fowl.

Chris

Thanks for the input all. I guess I will keep them seperated from the rest of the flock and on grower for another 6 weeks or so. My last batched I switched over around 14 weeks and they seem to be doing just fine, so I will do the same with this batch. Once again, thanks for all the suggestions/comments!!!

Back
Top Bottom