Switching antibiotics for upper respiratory

Heres2U_MrsR

Songster
May 21, 2020
I’m treating a hen for what is likely to be mycoplasma of some sort. She’s got mucus coming from her mouth, nose, swollen eyes, etc. and is extremely lethargic. I’ve been treating with Terramycin scours(25 mg/daily) for five days and it’s not helping that I can tell. No eating and only very minimally drinking. I purchased 200mg Tylan today. Can I switch at this point and if so, what’s the recommended means of giving it? I’m not sure I can inject as she’s so small. 3lb bantam.

I’m treating a hen for what is likely to be mycoplasma of some sort. She’s got mucus coming from her mouth, nose, swollen eyes, etc. and is extremely lethargic. I’ve been treating with Terramycin scours(25 mg/daily) for five days and it’s not helping that I can tell. No eating and only very minimally drinking. I purchased 200mg Tylan today. Can I switch at this point and if so, what’s the recommended means of giving it? I’m not sure I can inject as she’s so small. 3lb bantam.
You probably can, but if it's MG you are dealing with, you *should* have seen improvement with the Terramycin(oxytetracycline).

Tylan200 is going to be a small dose. For a 3lb chicken dose would be 0.17ml per pound of weight given orally 3 times a day for 5 days in a row. (based on 25mg/kg 3X day dosing)

Please post some photos of your hen. Have you added any new chickens to your flock recently? Do you notice a bad odor about her? Swollen eyes - is there pus? Has that been removed? If not, the pus will not go away unless removed.

You probably can, but if it's MG you are dealing with, you *should* have seen improvement with the Terramycin(oxytetracycline).

Tylan200 is going to be a small dose. For a 3lb chicken dose would be 0.17ml per pound of weight given orally 3 times a day for 5 days in a row. (based on 25mg/kg 3X day dosing)

Please post some photos of your hen. Have you added any new chickens to your flock recently? Do you notice a bad odor about her? Swollen eyes - is there pus? Has that been removed? If not, the pus will not go away unless removed.
I’ll get one of my kiddos to hold her in the morning so I can get some pictures.

-no new chickens, but we have had major weather fluctuations not normal for us. Extreme amounts of rain. Several flock members have had some sneezing and slight congestion. They just all seemed to kick it and move on.
-odor...mmm...almost an infection type odor, but her crop doesn’t seem to be an issue. Would that cause mucus to come from inside her mouth? She’s also filthy and I wasn’t sure if it could be that. When she first started presenting with some sneezing and runny nose, I used VetRX. She promptly dust bathed afterwards.
-I don’t actually see any discharge from her eyes, but they are swollen. Not as bad as they had been. I tried to massage them with coconut oil, but she wasn’t cooperative at all. It sounds like I need to be doing more?
-she does have mucus coming from her nose/mouth. I have swabbed her nares and cleared them multiple times. I don’t see any lesions on the inside of her mouth or throat, but I will check it again.
-she is very congested, but somewhat less so today. I’m having to force the tiny bit of food I can get down her, but she did drink on her own today quite a bit.

Side note: this particular girl has struggles. In her little over a year life she’s had wry neck and three unexplained bouts of vague illnesses. She is just not the hardiest bird. She is separated, in my house, and has heat to keep her cozy.

421B22B4-A2B1-49BC-81AC-94D6A4787837.jpeg
B96B6B41-D96E-4B01-972F-116B3D28FD8B.jpeg
CA8EDA0E-D73B-4FAF-8FF6-77E6CB3C3588.jpeg
Here she is in all her filthy glory. I’m at a loss. Five days of Terramycin Scours, and three doses of Tylan. I’ve done natural dewormers, but is it time for the big guns? I will say that the mucus and swelling in her face is significantly less as is the raspy breathing. She’s drinking a ton and I added ACV in the event that there are fungal issues. What am I missing? She will not touch food and has lost a good bit of weight. She’s not laying either.

edited to add that the sneezing/coughing are also very diminished to gone.

Side note: this particular girl has struggles. In her little over a year life she’s had wry neck and three unexplained bouts of vague illnesses. She is just not the hardiest bird. She is separated, in my house, and has heat to keep her cozy.

Five days of Terramycin Scours, and three doses of Tylan. I’ve done natural dewormers, but is it time for the big guns? I will say that the mucus and swelling in her face is significantly less as is the raspy breathing. She’s drinking a ton and I added ACV in the event that there are fungal issues. What am I missing?

the sneezing/coughing are also very diminished to gone.
I think I would finish the Tylan200.
Flush the eyes with saline, remove any drainage/pus and put a small dab of Terramycin eye ointment in the eyes a couple of times a day.

I don't see that much facial swelling. The eyes are a bit puffy. Nares look clear. Coughing/sneezing symptoms are improving as well.

Does she lay eggs?

To be honest, from your description, she's not been a healthy robust bird her entire life, so she may struggle more than others in recovering from mild illness, so it may take her more time. Respiratory diseases do impact the overall health of the bird, so it may be one of those things where you need to manage symptoms as they arise for the remainder of her lifetime.

Hi! My chickens are going through a similar thing and I’m trying so hard to diagnose and treat. I JUST joined this site because I read another thread where they effectively treated with herbal tincture Elecampane. I have never heard of it, but I ordered some. Let’s give it a try! It is a natural decongestant apparently.

Back
Top Bottom