Switching chick starters?? Feed store is out of my chick food!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Sparrow, May 16, 2008.

1. Sparrow

Sparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    Ok, I drove to my feed store to buy the Kent feed that I have been feeding my chicks and they are out for a week or so. No other feed store carries it, and I am down to less than one feeding's worth of chick food. So, I had to go to another feed store and buy a different brand of food.

Here is my question. I was using Kent chick starter, which is medicated with Amprolium and nothing else. I had to buy Nutrena NatureWise Chick Starter/Grower which is medicated with Amprolium AND Ethopabate. I have nine 8-week olds, four 4-5 week olds, and five 2 1/2 week olds. The starter I bought said to keep them on it until they begin to lay, so I could feasibly do that. BUT, I'm just concerned about the second type of medicine in this new food. Is it ok to put them on it now?

2. Mix it as much as you can. And next time, when you get to a quarter left, buy some more...in case you have to mix it. I use the Kent too, they like it!!

3. Sparrow

Sparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    ^^I generally keep a spare bag around, but my feed store told me they had it in stock so I wasn't concerned. When I showed up, they didn't have any there. :mad: So, that was quite a shock. I'm paranoid about running out of chicken food. lol

So I shouldn't be concerned about starting them on the medication now? I know the Amprolium is ok, but the other one I have no clue what it is.

I'm assuming they won't be terribly picky about it. The oldest group started out on MannaPro, switched to Purina, then to Kent with no problems. I'm just hoping that if I can mix it they will have no problem eating the new stuff.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by