Switching chickens diet to animal proteins

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by JRD2002, Apr 5, 2017.

1. JRD2002

JRD2002 New Egg

Jul 12, 2016
    Does anyone have an experience with this? I am about to do a little experiment with 20 6 week old roosters that I was planning to cull anyway. Plan to feed them their daily protein requirement with shredded wild hog meat and then also supply them with some fermented wheat to eat throughout the rest of the day.

2. Noreaster Egger

Noreaster Egger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2016
    That's it? Do they free range? If not it sounds nutritionally deficient unless you're grinding in some organs too.

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I don't think it is a good plan.
    The meat will be a good source of protein but still won't be complete nutritionally, even with the wheat.
    That would be akin to feeding children only pulled pork sandwiches. No veggies, no fruit, et. al..

Unless you feed a much more diverse array of feedstuffs, they'll develop nutritional deficiencies.
    What would be a better idea is to feed a 15% finisher feed or a 12.5% gamebird maintenance feed and supplement that with the pork.
    That way, they'll get all the vitamins and minerals in the appropriate ratios that galliformes need.

1 person likes this.
  4. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Quote:Before Political Correctness became a craze, all chicken feed had an ingredient called "Tankage" Tankage along with milk by products is the best source of protein for Gallus Gallus Domesticus. No animal feed is formulated for backyard chickens. All such chicken feed is intended to appeal to the small flock keeper, not the poor chickens.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  5. Labradors

Labradors Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2017
    ON, Canada
    So what is tankage?

6. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Refuse from slaughter houses.

1 person likes this.
  7. JRD2002

JRD2002 New Egg

Jul 12, 2016
    I am going to give it a go as planned and see what results I have. The wheat and pork are free and am not really looking in to spending money on these birds. I figure I am going to have to get rid of them when they start crowing anyway so I am really only interested in putting weight on them fast and cheap. If they don't make a decent slaughter weight by the time they start crowing I will probably use them to feed my other pets (dog/cat).

I am not sure what it was like before mad cow disease but am pretty sure that had a big impact on the commercial feed markets moving to vegetable protein vs animal proteins.

Animal proteins provide more complete amino acids so I am curious to see if they even exhibit any signs of nutritional deficiencies. I figure the biggest health risk would be burning up their kidneys with a very high protein diet...but like I said these birds will not have a long life to begin with.

8. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Too high protein will send them into ketosis and prevent them from putting on the weight (IMO). I think you're on a good plan, but I'd also add some corn.

9. Little Fuzzy

Little Fuzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2016
    Wouldn't bother me, at least it doesn't go to waste. People are too squeamish these days. Waste not want not. As long as it's not rendered pets.

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I tend to skim when I read, I caught the part about the pork being free and was thinking "I'd rather eat the pork myself!"....then went back and re-read the part where it's wild hog [​IMG]

I think it's an intriguing idea. I'm thinking these are dual purpose birds, correct? I agree I would plan on a good amount of wheat, but it will be interesting to see how much they choose to eat of what if allowed to self regulate.

Will you keep us updated?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by