3bird

Crowing
5 Years
Apr 2, 2017
Rockland, Maine
My Coop
My Coop
Hi, All.

Our seven week old silver Appleyard ducklings are ready to switch to a developer feed per Holderread's recommendations. They have been eating a 17% grower crumble since week 3 with oatmeal, brewer's yeast and grit mixed in. Our guys are now foraging most days in the garden, and they have greens in their run as well. Mazuri Waterfowl Maintenance has been recommended to us as a good feed to which we might transition. Opinions?

If we do go to Mazuri Waterfowl Maintenance, we think the plan would be to gradually mix it in with their current crumble until they are eating just the Mazuri Waterfowl Maintenance. Because Mazuri Waterfowl Maintenance has brewers dried yeast in it, would we stop adding the supplemental brewer's yeast? Also, now that they are foraging regularly, should we stop adding grit to their feed?

Finally, Mazuri says to give them the Mazuri Waterfowl Maintenance free choice, but Holderread says .30-.40 lbs per duck per day. Thoughts? We currently feed free choice for 15 minutes 3x/day, but we were planning to move to 2x/day this week (~1 lbs in the morning and ~1.5 lbs in the evening).

Sorry for all the noob questions. We (especially our ducklings!) appreciate your help in advance.

20170622_190147-1.jpg

Grower is what you feed after the starter at about 6 weeks old ....I feed it till after the first molt at around 3 to 4 months old...Then a finisher....I buy Duck feed here in Alberta, Canada.....

Got it. Thanks! We've been following Holderread pretty closely. He suggests starter (18-20% protein) for first 2 weeks, the grower (16-18%) from 2-7 weeks. He then suggests moving to "developer" (15-16%) until 20 weeks. We're at 7 weeks, and we'd like to transition to a waterfowl specific feed like a Mazuri waterfowl feed. I don't think Mazuri has an option between starer and maintenance. What brand do you use?

Back
Top Bottom