Switching Feed - LOCAL - Thoughts On This Ingredient List?

Owl Creek

Chirping
Dec 26, 2022
I don’t want to see anyone bashing each other about “conspiracy theories”. So; don’t. I’m aware of all that’s going around but I’m switching feeds because of what I am seeing.

Now that that’s out of the way; since I’ve switched to Purina All Flock; I have noticed a substantial decline in the look and behavior of my flock of 8 hens and a rooster, all 6 months to a year.

I have one I am trying to save right now. I have another thread on that. I’ve been to the vet; it didn’t help. I’m trying what I’ve learned here. Yes; I’m upset. Probably something I neglected to see early enough etc etc etc. She’s my favorite hen; in my picture and my little sidekick. Yes; I’m upset.

Anyway; I am looking at a local feed mill for their feed. I’m concerned about putting my rooster on it because of reading things about layer feed and the calcium contents impact over time to the health of a rooster. Below is an ingredients tag. No calcium listed so I am assuming means will continue the oyster shell.

I’m looking for someone with more knowledge to look this over and tell me what I need to be supplementing the chickens with if I switch over to this local feed. I need to make sure I am doing my due diligence. How does this feed look to you?

I appreciate it.

DFE04F74-9EAD-4E25-9628-1BD172202697.jpeg

Nutrena Layer feed. Previous rooster passed while on it. No necropsy. No symptoms other than lethargic in AM. Was new to chickens and wasn’t aware of the danger. Person I bought them from said “it would be fine” 6 months later it was not fine. Not sure if related. Didn’t have anyone to do a necropsy.

There is a lot they don't have listed on guaranteed analysis like Lysine, Methionine, calcium, phosphorus, salt. I always check all of that on my feeds.

That’s what I’m doing now as well. I use the poultrydvm site. Thought maybe someone was familiar enough with feed mills to have an idea based on the ingredients list.

Good reviews I’m seeing and I know they've been doing this for generations and they’re known for quality livestock feed. All locally grown. Nothing is shipped in.

I’m leaving the name off. I don’t want turf wars lol

Since the rooster and any hens not laying don't need the calcium, feed their chick starter instead of their layer feed. It will be nearly the same thing without the calcium. It might have a bit higher protein which isn't a problem.

I would not be worried about the simple tag because it looks like they used a standard formula or standard formula plus some probiotics - even better. I think so because it uses soybeans and fishmeal for protein as well as having DL Methionine and the other standard trace things in the ingredients.

It is somewhat high in fat so don't feed high fat treats like mealworms or sunflower seeds.

Then offer calcium on the side... most people use oyster shell or eggshells. It should be available all the time; they well eat what they need and no more.

If it is ground feed or whole rather than pellets or crumbles, they won't be able to eat the powder that sifts out. They need that because it has the vitamins, minerals, and such. So every few days, at least, mix some water into it. They can then eat the mush.

This is what I've done all along (except for one bag this winter to try pellets).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom