switching feed

Discussion in 'Quail' started by daseymay, Jan 21, 2011.

1. daseymay

daseymay Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2010
    It has been a few years since raising coturnix quail and I have forgotten at what age you should switch from the grower feed to the layer? Mine started hatching off 5 weeks ago today.

2. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    I DONT SWITCH... THEY GET GBS FROM HATCH TO DISPATCH HERE [​IMG] SAME IS TRUE OF MANY ON THE FORUM

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  3. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Some people switch them to a protein lower as the birds age but most keep the birds on the same feed throughout their lives...they are habit birds so they won't mind [​IMG]

4. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    I feed starter their whole life, if you switch to a grower make sure it has a lot of protein.

5. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:Not necessarily, the birds should get 30% protein until 6-8 weeks of age. Then it's fine to give them 24% protein after that. This is for optimum growth. Adding oyster shell to the mix helps add in calcium.

6. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Yes, but most grower feeds that I have seen are less than that, and the layer feed that I have seen is usually around 20% that will work fine, but I wouldn't go any lower.

7. daseymay

daseymay Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2010
    Thanks, the only problem I have is there is no one close in my area that sell grower that is not medicated. Someone in an earlier post had mentioned that it took a week or longer for the medicated feed to leave their system. It looks as though my hatch is close to 50/50 male female so will need to butcher a few males. I also will be eating the eggs and rather not have the meds. there. Will check a little further out to see if anyone has non medicated grower. My medicated growth has 28% protein and layer 20%.

8. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:GO TO PURINA MILLS WEBSITE, RIGHT ON THEIR PAGE IS A DEALOR LOCATOR OPTION... JUST TYPE IN YOUR ZIP CODE AND ENTER... IT WILL SPIT OUT A LIST OF ALL PURINA DEALERS IN YOUR AREA, AUTOMATICALLY SCRATCH OFF ANY TSC LOCATIONS,,, THEN START CALLING THE REST.

9. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    I'm currently on a TSC boycott. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by