1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Switching feeds

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Weehopper, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Weehopper

Weehopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2015
    I found that Scratch and Peck feed was too wasteful. Too much "fines/powder", so I decided to go to straight pellets. my girls are out free ranging on two acres all day. There are only five of them. The problem is that they are not eating their pellets. Not much anyway. is there need for concern, or should I wait until they start eating their food? At this point I have stopped all treats, such as a bit of scratch feed now and then. Should I just wait it out? They do not appear to be starving, and are still laying.

2. Bridebeliever

Bridebeliever Chillin' With My Peeps

Don't give up on the Scratch and Peck! Have you tried fermented feed for them? Basically turn that feed into oatmeal consistency with water and you will have no waste, plus they will love it! Mine hated pellets but love fermented feed.

3. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    I take the fines/powder and mix it with something moist, like plain yogurt, and let them eat it that way. Just moistened in a bowl with water and chopped kitchen scraps and they eat it up like crazy.

When their feeder gets low, I just dump whatever is in the bottom into a 5 gallon bucket, and mix up their "treats" from there.

1 person likes this.
  4. Weehopper

Feb 26, 2015
    Good idea. Thanks!

5. Weehopper

Feb 26, 2015
    Never thought to add water. Thanks for the advice.

6. Bridebeliever

Bridebeliever Chillin' With My Peeps

You're welcome! [​IMG] I hope it works!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by