Switching Flocks?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by hokankai, Dec 8, 2012.

1. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    I have two flocks, a LF and a banty flock. One of my banty hens has been in the LF coop since her flockmate passed and she was alone, but my huge rooster likes her so much that her back, stomach and head are completely bald now. I'd like to move her into the banty coop, but she has a strong personality and can be aggressive. The banties are now 6 months old and able to hold their own a little better, and the hen in question is 1.5 years old.

How do I go about moving her into the bantam flock? Do I need to separate her by herself for a few days and then keep her separated in the banty coop for a few days? Will she be upset and try to go back with the big birds?

Help!

2. hokankai

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    Any thoughts?

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

When I move banties back and forth between banty flocks and LF flocks yes they do try to go back to the big bird coop.

You will have to close off her access to the LF coop or go out there every night and move her - hoping she adjusts to the new sleeping place.

4. joesmania

joesmania Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2012
    Howdy Hokankai,

In my experience it would not be best to keep her isolated for a few days... or even one day. When I have done that in the past the hen that was separated (especially my banties) upon returning to the flock picks fights with everybody. Trying to be dominant I guess.

Anyways, just scoop her up n put her with the other banties and let her be. She may be upset and develop an attitude at first but this too shall pass, it won't last long at all. She will be better off in the long run with the Banty Flock. Sooner or later someone in the LF will start picking on her. That's my experience with my girls anyways, and I hope it's a help to ya.

Good luck,

Joe.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  5. hokankai

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    The two flocks are completely separated, two different runs and all. I just imagine her pacing back and forth along the fence line all day.

Oh well, it'll be the best for her because my rooster is huge and heavy and she just lets him jump on her. I don't want her to get hurt!

6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by