Switching from chick starter to flock raiser

Alicat4244

Songster
Jun 22, 2017
Tennessee
Hi all a week ago our broody hatched her chick ....its been pretty easy till now to keep food separated . First off we free range I moved the other chickens feed a good ways away so it was no problem but now mama hen is taking her chick for further adventures and I'm worried the chick is gong to eat the layers feed. I'm not home all day to keep an eye out so I am thinking of switching to flock raiser . Should I mix in with the chick starter to start off ? Or just put it in the other feeders in case mama and baby find it I don't have to worry about what the chick gets a hold of and still sit out chick feed? I'm probably making this harder than what it is but my first time letting my broody hatch

So can I just switch it? Or should I mix it in with what they have been eating and slowly switch them over ?
If you want to take the time and slowly switch them over you can do that, otherwise I would just switch it when the other one ran out. If you just switch them you might notice a little difference in there poop but it should go back to normal after a couple days. It's nothing to be concerned about, just them getting used to the new feed.

If you want to take the time and slowly switch them over you can do that, otherwise I would just switch it when the other one ran out. If you just switch them you might notice a little difference in there poop but it should go back to normal after a couple days. It's nothing to be concerned about, just them getting used to the new feed.
Thank you

Hi all a week ago our broody hatched her chick ....its been pretty easy till now to keep food separated . First off we free range I moved the other chickens feed a good ways away so it was no problem but now mama hen is taking her chick for further adventures and I'm worried the chick is gong to eat the layers feed. I'm not home all day to keep an eye out so I am thinking of switching to flock raiser . Should I mix in with the chick starter to start off ? Or just put it in the other feeders in case mama and baby find it I don't have to worry about what the chick gets a hold of and still sit out chick feed? I'm probably making this harder than what it is but my first time letting my broody hatch
Chicks need a higher protein content feed than layers and adults shouldn't eat medicated chick food.

The easiest thing to do is to use a cardboard box to feed the chicks. Cut a couple of holes at the bottoms of the sides that are big enough for chicks to fit through but not mama hen. Then put something heavy enough on top so mama can't knock it over, and train the babies where to go to eat. I've done this frequently and it works.

Starter and Flock Raiser are essential the same thing. You can mix the remaining starter with the Flock Raiser to feed to all your birds. Offer crushed oyster shells on the side for those that are laying.

I keep mine on starter/grower 20%, with oyster shell in a container. If you do switch to flock raiser I would mix both, until the starter is gone.

Back
Top Bottom