Switching from Egg Maker to Game/Show Bird

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Coopa Cabana, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Coopa Cabana

Coopa Cabana My Coop Runneth Over . . .

Aug 30, 2009
    Colorado
    My Coop
    My main feed has always been Egg Maker, and I'm thinking about switching to Game/Show Bird. I was told that as long as my main feed is commercial, I don't have to worry about calcium/oyster supplements for the egg shells. Is that correct? Or if I switch, am I also going to have to start some kind of calcium supplements?
    (They also get scratch, corn, alfalfa, greens, etc - but only as supplemental treats.)

Last edited: Aug 21, 2010

2. mediazeal

mediazeal Songster

Feb 26, 2009
    And here I thought you meant one of your egg layers was starting her own Game Show.
    I thought it was a good career choice. Egg laying is a tough career choice. Game Show Host on the other hand, or even a guest spot as Chicken contestant on The Chicken Game Show, must come with all kinds of perks.

3. Coopa Cabana

Aug 30, 2009
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Quote:Thanx for the Bump. However, I posted this in the Feed section and not in the Games and Jokes section.

4. dragonlair

dragonlair Songster

Apr 29, 2008
    Maine
    Can you check the feed tags and compare?

5. dragonlair

dragonlair Songster

Apr 29, 2008
    Maine
    I feed commercial feed but also supplement oyster shells, crushed egg shells and goat milk. If I don't the egg shells go funny.

6. Coopa Cabana

Aug 30, 2009
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Thanx! I just got back from the feed store - bought 50# of each - Egg Maker and Gamebird Breeder. I'll mix the 2 and see how it goes. They didn't have the Breeder there a couple of weeks ago - just Gamebird Finisher. The Breeder has the higher calcium content specifically for laying, so I think it should do just fine.

7. Tropical Chook

Tropical Chook Songster

Jul 5, 2010
    I would imagine it may have something to do with the breed of chickens you have. The reason why I say this is because over here in Thailand, most people who keep chickens don't even feed them, but instead, the chickens are allowed to free range, and yet they still lay perfectly good eggs without getting any type of calcium supplement.

8. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

there is no reason NOT to give free choice calcium in some form, the roosters or young chicks can ignore it and the ones that need more calcium can get it. Its very cheap (or if you crush their eggshells- free) and if under shelter will last for a long time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by