Switching from Free-Range to a Run

Saum Creek

Songster
Jun 24, 2019
Oregon
Hello all,

Ever since I lost two special hens about a month ago, I have been contemplating cutting out free-ranging all together and keeping my chickens in a run full time, perhaps letting them out an hour or so before they would go roost since I know they won't go very far.

Are there any tips/tricks to acclimating your chickens to their new prison? Both my run and coop are fairly large and I only have the two clucks right now (a rooster and a hen) but also six 5-week old chicks. I'm working on adding entertainment and already keep my compost in the run to give them something to scratch in. But whenever they see me coming and going they make such pitiful noises because they want to be free. Am I just being a huge softy? Ha.

Pics of coop/run:

IMG_20200511_154653.jpg IMG_20200614_125457.jpg

Mine are in a run most of the day (when I’m not home) and out maybe 3-4 hours at most, depending on if I can hang around and check on them every so often (I live in town so have to keep them in my backyard). Even having that much time in the run, whenever they see me at the door or out in the yard, they look at me like I’m keeping them prisoners. So, my point is, they will always look at you that way, so lock ‘em up and be done with it! 🤣

Yes, you're a big softy lol! I think those "pitiful" noises are them just happy to see you!! :) Look at it that way! And maybe they know treats are coming! You have a pleasant set up for them and now one that won't lead to certain death. Good for them and you. And like you said, you can let them out an hour before dusk settles in and they can get some good "free time" in then.

You're making the right choice! I am making the moves to do the same to my gals and I understand your guilt completely. The few times I've locked them in a chicken wire enclosure (to keep a wayward egg layer from laying in the woods) they sat around looking quite loss. I can't bear the thought of something getting my girls though. I do think I will continue to let them free range during the day and just call them back with treats before a couple hours before dusk on the days I don't work.

I can completely relate to you feeling guilty! My chickens are currently confined to their coop/run because we just got a new rescue dog, and they make the saddest, moping sounds to be let out. Here are a few things that have helped me in the past with confinement:

1. Provide non-food things to do while they are in the run. Some examples include:
+Building a log/stump “jungle gym” for them to climb/hide/sit on
+Putting piles of grass clippings, leaves, dirt, garden weeds, etc. for them to dig through. Chickens LOVE to dig/scratch through any type of pile! Mine especially love grass clippings and garden weeds.
+Put a large dirt bath area for them to dirt bathe in, we call ours “the beach” and put tiki heads around it haha
+Add plastic mirrors or parrot toys for them to play/inspect. Chickens love inspecting new things. I have a toy xylophone that my girls like pecking at.
+Put a straw bale in the run for them to scratch. My chickens LOVE this! Keeps them busy for hours and hours.
+Put old chairs or a ladder for them to climb and sun themselves on!

2. For food related things to pass the time:
+Start a compost pile in the run for them to scratch through
+Collect chicken-safe fruit/veg scraps from your kitchen. I keep a large “scrap” bowl in our fridge and every few days dump a pile of scraps for them to dig through (they love piles!!)
+Leave whole heads of lettuce, cabbages, melons, broccoli, for them to pick at throughout the day. Find what their favorites are! Mine love cabbage and melons, I’ll throw a large cabbage in before work and they have something to peck/eat throughout the day. Melon halves for the summertime are a big favorite too!
+Flock Blocks are also a good way to have them pass the time, use sparingly though!
+You can also make puzzle treat dispensers, like an old water bottle with holes poked in it filled with mealworms, scratch, etc. Mine enjoy pecking and rolling the bottle to get the food out.

In general, try and spend time with them while they are in the run so they know you haven’t forgotten about them, haha! Maybe you could also start feeding them a treat in the run too so they associate the run with tasty food and quality time with their human :)

Good luck!

Last edited:
Curious about your coop and run...
Is there no enclosed place in the 'coop'?
It looks more like a run.
How do they get from coop to run?
Not seeing an opening between the 2.

The coop is pretty open-air as I'm in Portland, OR where it rarely gets below freezing. There is a cable along the top where I can run a weighted tarp on nights when it's super windy in the winter.

And there is a door in the fence I lock up at night:

IMG_20200615_183344.jpg

Thanks for the link! I'll check it out. :)

We’re kinda in the same boat... three chickens in our backyard run/coop. I’m attaching a picture so you can see how much space ours have. But the fenced in backyard is also the dogs space, too. Our dogs have not really calmed down about the chickens. They get way too excited to share the space at the same time.

So right now the chickens are out for a couple of hours per day as I’m able to sit out there with them. That’s been easy during quarantine time. But we will see how it goes once life goes back to normal.
0132577F-514C-4957-87A7-E041B53245A4.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom