1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Switching From Medicated to Non-Medicated Starter/Grower?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Patinas, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Patinas

Patinas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2017
    Washington
    I've been feeding my chicks medicated starter/grower from day one. They range in age from 5 to 8 weeks old.

They're all healthy and thriving but I have seen posts on here where people stop feeding medicated starter/grower.

My question is....is there a best practice? Can I give them the medicated up until I switch them over to layer feed? Is there a benefit to stop feeding the medicated and start giving them the non-medicated starter/grower? Are they still highly susceptible to cocci?

2. 0wen

0wen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2016
    Southwest Virginia
    You're going to get answers both ways. Some people are die hard for, some against...

Personally, when I have chicks, I buy a 50lb bag of medicated starter and feed them that until it's gone and then switch them over to a non-medicated "flock raiser". Obviously, your mileage may vary depending on the number of chicks you're growing. It won't hurt them to stay on the medicated feed for a shorter period of time, but it won't hurt to keep them on it longer. I don't know that I'd keep them on medicated feed until they go to layer feed - that's a long time. If your birds are in the 5-8 week range, I'd swap them out next time you need feed to a grower, all-flock, etc.

3. smorris2

smorris2 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2017
    I've got 5 chicks that are 8-10 weeks old and 3 one year old hens that have been eating medicated starter. I was told today that I should not eat eggs from hens on the medicated feed so I switched them to a layer specific feed today. My question is-how long should I throw out eggs from when they switched feed

4. 0wen

Mar 25, 2016
    Southwest Virginia
    Which medicated feed were you using? Most likely it contains amprolium. There isnt an egg withdrawal period using amprolium. I would, however, check your feed bag to be certain that is the ingredient.

5. smorris2

smorris2 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2017
    Purina start and grow medicated
    Amprolium is the first ingredient

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  6. 0wen

Mar 25, 2016
    Southwest Virginia
  7. Patinas

Patinas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2017
    Washington
    Thanks for the reply 0wen. I guess I'll finish up the medicated and then switch them to the non. They will be 3-4 months old by then.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by