Switching from Starter to Breeder?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by CORNISH_MAN, May 21, 2010.

1. CORNISH_MAN

CORNISH_MAN Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    CALVARY,KY
    I have Jumbo Brown Coturnix and was wonder when should I switch from the starter to a breeder feed? Thanks

2. Colonel77

Colonel77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2010
    Glasgow, MO
    I switch mine as soon as I see the first egg.

3. CORNISH_MAN

Mar 24, 2010
    CALVARY,KY
    Thats for your help COLONEL. I cant believe I only got one response to this thread. I guess all these quail people on here dont feed there birds starter or breeder feed.

4. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    I have jumbo browns that are 9 weeks old they are getting ready to go to freezer camp they are still eating starter half of my bobs are eating layer half are eating starter I do not see any difference in the egg shells I was worried about not enough calcium. the few coturnix hens I have 1/2 are eating starter 1/2 are eating layer I do not see any difference ,the half that are eating layer the 5th week I put layer in the bottom of the feeders and topped it off with starter by the 6th week they were on all layer

5. CORNISH_MAN

Mar 24, 2010
    CALVARY,KY
    Quote:Thanks alot for your help. I have looked everywhere and I cant find when exactly you are suppose to switch so I thought Id ask here and see at what age everyone does switch. Thanks again

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Personally, I wouldn't change them over to a different feed until they stop laying for the season. Starter feed has much higher protein, mine always lay better with it. In the winter mine get 20% flock raiser, and then they get the 28% gamebird starter once they all start laying for the season [​IMG] Just give them oyster shells in a seperate dish, the starter is the best IMO

7. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Why Change At All? All Of My Quail--- Bobs/ Coturnix/ Valleys Get Starter From Hatcher To The Grave And Flourish On It. They Lay Better On Starter, They Acheive A Larger Overall Body Size On Starter, And The Cost Difference (at Least Here) Is A 41 Cent A Bag Difference.

8. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:I feed mine flock raiser in the off-season because it is $2.25 a bag cheaper. The coturnix buy their own feed during the laying season, but in the winter, I've got to save money somewhere [​IMG]

9. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    you know I think the reason mine start laying at 5 1/2 -6 weeks is because of the starter. i just had 2 hens from my 2nd hatch start laying yesterday both are 5 weeks 2-3 days old

10. rhymn001

rhymn001 New Egg

Jun 26, 2010
    N.E. Mississippi
    I use turkey starter for the first 4 weeks (ground up in a coffee grinder for babies) and have oyster shell available at all times. After the first month I put them on non-medicated turkey grower and keep the oyster shell available to them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by