Switching grit

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by percyj, Jul 24, 2010.

1. percyj

percyj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    At what age should you switch ducklings from chick grit to poultry grit???

2. percyj

Jun 20, 2010
    Bcuz I'm pretty sure it's 6-8 wks, butÂ…don't wanna hurt the wittle babies rite?! Lol

3. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

I always offered builder's sand from the hardware store. It's way cheaper and works just fine. Right now they are free ranging so I don't offer any.

4. percyj

Jun 20, 2010
    Even as ducklings?

5. katharinad

The builders sand is not coarse at all. It is a fine sand like you would find in a toddlers sandbox. I gave it to my babies when they were 3 days old on the side. They were taking small amounts daily. I stopped giving it when they were over 2 weeks old, because they were outside everyday eating dirt and mud. So right now they are not getting any. In fall I will buy the coarse sand. They come in 10 pound bags are really cheap.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2010
  6. percyj

Jun 20, 2010
    At what age can you move them out during the day? I live in Chicago. When I get them, it will probably be spring-ish right now I'm taking care of a wild gosling with a twisted leg.

7. katharinad

It all depends on the ducks and the weather. Mine were off their heat lamp when they were 2 weeks old, living in my warm kitchen. I put them outside at that age too. That was when the temps were above 70 and only for a few hours. At 2.5 week I moved them into the duck house with heater on at night and dog door open all day. Again this was pending on outside temps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by