Switching it up

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MissJames, Nov 11, 2008.

1. MissJames

MissJames Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2008
    Coastal SC
    I have 26 chicks 6 days old and already outgrowing their brooder,space wise. I have another of the same size. Could I put them side by side and split the chicks up/? Could I switch them around several times a day so they would stay used to each other? It would only be for another week,then they will be too big,again.
    I'm using a clear wrapping paper plastic tote and I have another one. We have a very large wooden box we will use ,eventually,but these totes are just so easy!
    My youngest son has severe mental retardation and autism, so easy is my favorite word.But only if the chicks will be okay.
    [​IMG]

2. chandasue

chandasue Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    MN
    I have mine in 2 rubbermaid type totes side by side. They seem fine with it. I mix them up everyday while I'm checking them over for any problems. They'll out grow them quickly but I'll probably just keep adding totes until they're ready to go outside since we have a bunch of them that we're not using for anything else. I saw in the brooder/coop section of the forum that someone used a kiddy swimming pool. If my garage was heated that would work awesome but I can't get it warm enough out there for them.

3. MissJames

MissJames Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2008
    Coastal SC
    Quote:I have a kiddie pool,but since they are already flying up and I have DOGS I have to keep them enclosed.
    I will just copy you,since it's working out. How are all your babies?

4. chandasue

chandasue Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    MN
    They're doing well. I lost one the first day, I don't know why. But the rest are thriving! How are yours?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by