Switching layer food

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by bock, Feb 12, 2011.

1. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Yesterday we went to TSC to get some layena when I noticed a brand called HomeGrown Layer. It was $2 cheaper then Layena, but I couldn't tell what the ingredients were because the tag was sewn too far into the bag. So, I decided to think about it and went to the check out. Then, the lady at the register suggested that we get the HomeGrown Layer, she said it was almost exactly the same. So, we switched the bags out and got the HomeGrown brand instead.

The pellets between the two brands look almost identical ( Purina is a little dustier). So, I poured in the new bag into the garbage can we keep the food in and mixed some of the Layena in at the top. When I finally got the tag off, I noticed the only real difference is the slightly lower calcium, and the use of cane molasses. The thing that worries me most is the fact that it says " Do not provide additional grain or free-choice calcium source.''. I have always given me free rangers oyster shell and sometimes I throw out some scratch. Is this something I should be worried about? And does anyone else use this feed, what are the results? Thanks ahead of time, I am probably just being a worried chicken mommy. [​IMG]

2. CountryPantry

CountryPantry Fat Matt's Poultry Farm

Feb 23, 2009
    Hayesville, NC
    We use Homegrown. I have calcium in a feeder in the coop and we feed scraps, scratch or cracked corn. Always have, never had any problems.

3. chickerdoodle

chickerdoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
    Are you sure you got layer and not a chick feed or developer/grower? Its not good to give chickens who are too young extra calcium as it can damage their kidneys. Its also not a good idea to give growing birds too much of anything other than their feed so they get a good start on the perfect balance of nutrients and grow up healthy. Just a thought. [​IMG]

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I would be tempted to email them, if I could, and ask what sources or research they used to make the recommendation about free choice calcium.

Mine hardly ever touch their oyster shell.

5. CountryPantry

CountryPantry Fat Matt's Poultry Farm

Feb 23, 2009
    Hayesville, NC
    Look on your Purina label, it use to be on there also. They are just trying to say that their food is complete and you don't need to feed anything else. Manna Pro also use to have the same statement years ago when I sold it at our feed store.

6. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Thanks everyone! All my birds are between 1 and 2 years old, and I definitely got layer feed. Maybe I will email them, though it is probably just their way of saying their food is balanced. CountryPantry, I am glad to hear that you have had good results with this feed, I hope I have the same results. We will see how it goes! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by