Switching medicated feed

CAF

In the Brooder
Feb 6, 2020
I have just hatched my first batch of quail and they are 2 weeks old now. My worry is I have them on a medicated feed with a high protein level but this is not my normal feed for the rest off my adult birds and could only get a small amount off this so will be running out soon. The other birds are on my easily available feed but this is also medicated. Will I be ok to just switch the chicks across to this feed or will I have problems with it being two different medications? Both feeds are medicated for coccidiosis.

Most likely both feeds contain Amprolium. So switching wouldn't make much difference, except for the concentration of vitamins, minerals and percent protein used between the two different feeds.

Why are you feeding medicated feed to your mature birds? Do you have a history of Coccidiosis in your flock?

Amprolium (Corid) is not very effective treatment in gamebirds. There are many variants, strains of Eimeria, which cause coccidiosis in poultry. Many are site specific, they attack certain areas of the intestinal tract. And unlike chickens, certain strains attack the entire intestinal tract of gamebirds.

Coturnix quail are most susceptible to E. tsunodia, E. uzura and E. bateri
Bobwhites are most susceptible to E. lettyae, E. dispersia and E. coloni.

There are 2 preferred treatments/medications for coccidiosis in quail.
Salinomycin (Biocox)
Monensin (Coban)

The best prevention/control of Coccidiosis is a strict biosecurity program and good sanitation practices.

HTH

Last edited:
Most likely both feeds contain Amprolium. So switching wouldn't make much difference, except for the concentration of vitamins, minerals and percent protein used between the two different feeds.

Why are you feeding medicated feed to your mature birds? Do you have a history of Coccidiosis in your flock?

Amprolium (Corid) is not very effective treatment in gamebirds. There are many variants, strains of Eimeria, which cause coccidiosis in poultry. Many are site specific, they attack certain areas of the intestinal tract. And unlike chickens, certain strains attack the entire intestinal tract of gamebirds.
Quail are most susceptible to E. lettyae, E. dispersia and E. coloni.

There are 2 preferred treatments/medications for coccidiosis in quail.
Salinomycin (Biocox)
Monensin (Coban)

The best prevention/control of Coccidiosis is a strict biosecurity program and good sanitation practices.

HTH
Hi thanks for replying the medication in the feeds I have is not amprolium it is a different two types so when I switch I imagine the medications will mix for a day or two that’s what I’m concerned about.
I live in north east England and quail are not a big thing here so I struggle to get feed in a crumble form so had to put the adult birds on a chicken starter crumble as thats all I can find but it is medicated.

Hi thanks for replying the medication in the feeds I have is not amprolium it is a different two types so when I switch I imagine the medications will mix for a day or two that’s what I’m concerned about.
I live in north east England and quail are not a big thing here so I struggle to get feed in a crumble form so had to put the adult birds on a chicken starter crumble as thats all I can find but it is medicated.
What are the two different medications?

Coxidin is one and lasalocid is the other both for coccidiosis
Ok, Coxidin is monensin sodium, one of which I mentioned is for treatment in quail.
The other, Lasalocid is used in cattle, goats....mainly for calves to prevent coccidiosis. Monensin is also used in cattle and goat feeds.
Hopefully, the feed with Coxidin is the easiest to find?

Last edited:
Thanks so much that link was a great help from what I understand about synergistic the meds could interact to make a stronger medication. Not reallly sure what to do now!!!

Thanks so much that link was a great help from what I understand about synergistic the meds could interact to make a stronger medication. Not reallly sure what to do now!!!
It depends on whether or not a resistance has occured to either of the medications, coccidiostat....if so, using a different med may have an effect on the ootocyst that haven't been exposed to one or the other.
The concentrations in medicated feed is usually only sufficient to act as a prophylactic and not as a cure.
Although, both used in conjunction might be toxic, if used for a long period of time.

It depends on whether or not a resistance has occured to either of the medications, coccidiostat....if so, using a different med may have an effect on the ootocyst that haven't been exposed to one or the other.
The concentrations in medicated feed is usually only sufficient to act as a prophylactic and not as a cure.
Although, both used in conjunction might be toxic, if used for a long period of time.
I have read the link you sent me a few times and it says the half shelf life of the medication in the feed is only a couple of hours so I was thinking if I take the birds feed away at night and introduce the new feed in the morning the levels of the original medicated feed will have dropped in there system so less chance of the other feed I give them the next day interacting. That’s my theory anyway 🤞🤞🤞
Thankyou so much for your time and help with this I feel much more informed now because off you 👍👍👍

Back
Top Bottom