Switching my girls to layer feed soon, what about my rooster?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by cupman, Aug 7, 2011.

1. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Will my rooster be fine eating layer feed like the hens? They free range 5-6 days a week and I really only keep them in the run if I'm going to be gone into the night so I think the big guy might be getting his nutrients elsewhere but I'm sure there will be those times where I'm out of town for several days and can't let them free range. Do I need to do anything different to accommodate the rooster?

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

If he lives with the hens, you really don't have much of a choice. Most folks with flocks led by roosters allow the rooster to eat what the hens do. If the rooster lives separately, sure, feed him something without the excess calcium. I've never had any roosters seem to suffer adverse affects from eating layer feed.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  3. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

I just recently switched over to a Flock Raiser crumble which is calcium free and I give free choice calcium for the hens to eat. The babies and the roos don't touch it but the hens instinctively eat it for egg production.

Because I have several hatches each year by my broody and have several roos I decided that this was my best option. Everyone feeds differently, depending on the different sexes, and ages, and it depends on what is best for you and your flock.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  4. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Cool, thank you.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I have one rooster who lives by himself because he's crippled so he eats Knockout Game Bird Feed, which is basically an 11-grain scratch and has 12% protein, no added calcium. He loves it and I use it as my regular scratch for the flocks, but the roosters who live with their hens do eat whatever the hens eat. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by