1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

switching to egg laying feed

Discussion in 'Quail' started by djToxicRainbow, Feb 2, 2014.

1. djToxicRainbow

djToxicRainbow New Egg

Jan 30, 2014
    Hey everyone, new comer here with a few little chicks but also 5 quails. We have 4 females and one male. The past three days have wielded two eggs. Is it time to switch to feed that encourages egg laying?

Also, is it okay to combine that type of feed with fattening feeds? I don't know what the real names are of the kinds of feeds. I hope you guys know what I mean. Would we need to separate the egg layers from the meat birds if we use a specific type of food?

Any information on the subject is helpful! We live in Veracruz, Mexico and the weather is generally warm (65-95 degrees) and it never snows. I am sure the climate has an effect on the egg laying process.

Thanks in advance!

2. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

They don't lay much this time of year because the days are too short. Egg production will pick up more as the days get longer.

Try to feed gamebird crumble with 20-24% protein. The protein will be listed on the bag. Also feed them oyster shell in a bowl and keep it full. The hens will eat it as they need calcium.

3. djToxicRainbow

djToxicRainbow New Egg

Jan 30, 2014
    Okay great thank you! Cool tip about the oyster shells.

Do they prefer closed off places to lay? All the eggs they've been laying have been in this mini barrel that has straw in it. Should I buy something else for the other quail that has similar "privacy" and "security.

Thanks!

4. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

You can put a box in there for them to hide from predators like foxes but as far as eggs they will kind of lay them wherever they like. If they are laying them in one spot I'd leave alone, if you change it they might just start laying all over the floor.

If you are raising some for meat, here is what I do. All my chicks get fed 30% gamebird starter but at 6-7 weeks I separate the ones I'm keeping and start feeding them the laying formula which is 24% and I keep feeding the meat birds the 30% so they put on as much weight as possible.

5. djToxicRainbow

djToxicRainbow New Egg

Jan 30, 2014
    Well that's a really good plan! The problem is that we don't know who is laying the eggs. There are four females. I'll keep everyone updated!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by