Switching To Layer Feed Soon.....Pellets VS Crumbles??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by TwoCrows, Jul 10, 2011.

1. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hi all!

My girls are going to 18 weeks old this week and I am starting to think about layer feed. They are presently still on chick crumbles and I am thinking about using layer pellets. I don't want to interupt thier eating pattern so I am worried that the girls are going to think..."Ooooh, scary food!" when they see the pellets. They are leary of anything new.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of pellets or maybe I should stick with crumbles. What are your experiences?

Thanks for any information you may have.

Leyla [​IMG]

2. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    I have tried giving my hens pellets, they don't like it nearly as much as the crumbles. They absolutely devour the crumbles [​IMG]. I've decided to experiment with integrating the pellets slowly over time by purchasing a bag or both and them mixing them together before I feed them. It's been working pretty well so far.

That's what I would suggest you do, I think switching them from one to the other all at once makes the chickens confused. They're thinking "where's my crumbles?"

3. boykin2010

boykin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    I feed mine pellets. Chickens tend to waste crumbles because it spills, gets wet or dropped. My hens like pellets more than crumbles... I think your chickens wont have a problem being switched. All my hens were fed crumbles by their previous owners but i switched them to pellets and they eat it fine

4. ChickenAl

ChickenAl Diagnosis...Chicken-Headed

Jun 5, 2011
    Putnam cty, NY
    Best thing to do is to try the pellets and see how it goes. Testing is expensive, but it is the only way to find out if they will waste more than they eat or if they even like one more than the other. At 16 weeks we are on the 4th changing of feed types. Our girls like the crumbles best, but a couple of days ago we started using an organic that is lightly ground grains. they love it, but do pick through it and through some out. The other chickens have picked it up off the ground so the waste does not seem too bad.

5. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Thanks for all the great responses! I think I am going to try mixing pellets and crumbles before I go on straight pellets. That way I can see if they are going to eat them or not. They sure do like crumbles and I have a feeling they aren't going to be crazy for pellets. So I will ween them on slowly.

Thanks again! [​IMG]

6. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    The pellets provide all the nutrition the chicken will need . The crumbles have the nutrition that's needed but they might not get the full nutritional intake as they will with the pellets guess that makes sense. I'd go with pellets. If you mix them your gonna keep saying they don't like the pellet because the bird will eat around the pellets. If you only give them pellets they have no choice. That's my thoughts.

7. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    When I added 5 new birds to the flock I purchased another feeder, so that the stress levels would not go up due to eating. My original flock had been on crumbles, and there is still a little left in the one feeder. The other feeder has had pellets now for 9 days. I see both being eaten, so hopefully they will have become used to them by the time the crumbles run out in a couple more days. We'll see!

8. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Pellets have a lot less waste. Especially for me. The convenient feed store near where I work only carries the locally made brand, and they should really rename their crumbles "dust" or "powder" because basically that is what it is. The only birds I have that it is appropriately sized for are quail. The other feed store semi-near me, about 20 minutes away in the direction I NEVER go, carries Purina, and their crumbles are a lot bigger and less fine dusty particles in them.

So, I only buy pellets. Even the local brands pellets are a lot smaller and more crumbly than the Purina. Its a real waste of money for me to try to feed the crumbles to my birds -- a couple of times the guy pulling the order gave me the wrong thing, fortunately, the saving grace is I can always feed it to the quail.

9. thecraycoop

thecraycoop New Egg

Jul 12, 2011
    Well that may explain why my hens were not into their pellets for awhile. I switched them from crumble to pellets and we noticed they were not eating much and I thought they were getting spoiled from the treats (which could be true too! [​IMG]). It looks like they are ok with the pellets now though.

10. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Well, I went to the feed store and got some Flock Raiser pellets, just to see if they would eat them. I put the old crumbles on one half of the feeder and put the pellets on the other. At first they were interested in this new food, but they seem to have trouble with eating them unless they go down the right way. One of the girls has it down pat. The others pick them up and after fussing with them a moment, spit them out and head for the crumbles! [​IMG]

So I am going to keep this system up for a while and see if I can't convert them over. By the time they start laying, I should know either way whether they are "into" the pellets or not.

Thanks for all the great replies! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by