Switching to Layer Feed?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by willowbirdks, Aug 6, 2014.

1. willowbirdks

willowbirdks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2014
    So I have read before that hens should be switched over to layer feed once they start laying... My oldest girl is about 17 weeks, so still a little bit before we need to make the switch. But I'm just starting to think about logistics.

For those that have laying hens and drakes living together, do you feed separately? How do you handle having multiple types of foods for multiple ducks?

I'm thinking that our "babies" will be at just the right age to change to grower at that time as well, but obviously once they all room together the ducklings would need to be kept out of the layer feed too. Just a lot of logistics, and I'm not sure how to best make it work! Thoughts? Recommendations for a newbie?

2. jtn42248

jtn42248 Overrun With Chickens

I have chickens (with hens and roosters), ducks (with drakes, hens and young ones) and geese (with ganders and females). They all eat Purina Flock Raiser which is a mixed breed food for poultry. In addition I put out oyster shell free choice to be sure the ladies get their calcium and they all free range at least part of the day so they get what they want (bugs, slugs and grass). The geese get cracked corn mixed with the flock raiser and lots of grazing so they do fine. Oh, and the geese are kept apart from the chickens and ducks since they seem to want to do them damage.

3. willowbirdks

willowbirdks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2014

Interesting... I don't have a feed store where I can get Purina, so I've been using an all flock type of feed from Blue Seal. And my birds do free range at least part of every day. I wonder if the oyster shell would be enough for the girls in my flock, too...?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  4. jtn42248

jtn42248 Overrun With Chickens

If they are getting balanced nutrition from the flock feed then all you need to do is to add free choice oyster shell (you can also crush the shells from their eggs and feed that back to them). You will be surprised how they know what they need and how to take care of themselves. The males will pretty much ignore the oyster shell while the hens will chow down on it. That way they get the calcium they need and you are protecting your males without having to feed everyone separate.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by