1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Switching to mash?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by billmac, Nov 25, 2010.

1. billmac

billmac Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    I've been feeding my Welsh Harlequins chicken layer pellets, which they love. But I have one hen who is a little deformed. Somewhat twisted up. She seems to have a hard time swallowing pellets and seems to drop a lot of them. I sometimes give her some pellets soaked in a little water but that is a pain, especially when it is getting colder. So I'm wondering about switching to layer mash. Any thoughts?

2. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

You could try crumbles. Also give her extra niacin, perhaps she will get better. Wont hurt to try.

3. billmac

billmac Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    I don't think my feed store carries crumbles.

I gave her some vitamin enriched feed for months, but it didn't help (well, let's say it didn't cure her).

4. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Vitamins are not the almighty cure. It's just that ducks need to much of it, that most of the time it does work. I had some ducklings hatch that had curled up feet etc and I all I had to give was vitamin water with extra niacin. 3 days later you could not tell the difference. You did all you can do. You may throw some pellets into a blender and break them down for her. A heavy plastic bag and a hammer does the same tick. Funny enough I cannot get pallets here, all they have is crumbles. I wish they had pellets to cut down on the mess they make.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by