switching to nipple waterer

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by okiemamachick, Mar 5, 2015.

1. okiemamachick

okiemamachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2015
    Oklahoma
    Hey yall we've been using regular old founts and I got nipple waterers today I have them set up in the two brooders at what seems like the correct heights. Should I remove the old style waterers or wait? They've shown interest in the water bottles but haven't got the nipple=water down pat. One group are banties probably a week old at the most the others are LF about 3 weeks old.

2. Belott

Belott Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2013
    Belott, Texas
    When I switched over I pulled the regular waterer out completely. They took to the horizontal nipples immediately. Took all of ten seconds. Work the nipple to get a little water out to show them and you should be good to go. All it takes is one to figure it out and the others catch on quick.

David

3. okiemamachick

Jan 11, 2015
    Oklahoma
    Thank you David, I will pull them out :)

4. PapaChaz

PapaChaz Overrun With Chickens

May 25, 2010
    NW Georgia
    I thought I'd leave the fountain in until I saw them using the nipples, they wouldn't use the nipples at all. Soon as I pulled the fountain out, in no time flat they were checking out the nipples. Natural curiosity I suppose, but you know chicks, once the first one did they all had to.......

I sure don't miss having to clean that thing several times a day

5. PapaChaz

PapaChaz Overrun With Chickens

May 25, 2010
    NW Georgia
    oh and as for heights, even if they have to stretch to reach it, as long as they can reach it's all good. They pretty much always look up to drink anyway

6. okiemamachick

Jan 11, 2015
    Oklahoma
    I'm already loving them! It seemed I would clean out the fount and they would literally IMMEDIATELY kick shavings into it. I was like "seriously you guys?!?"

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by