SWOHIO - Injured Hen - MED ADVICE REQUESTED

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rockintheboat, Nov 21, 2014.

1. rockintheboat

rockintheboat Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2014
    SW OHIO
    Last night the coop was attacked by a mink who got in when the automatic door failed to close.

We have a 8-month old sex link hen that was left injured among the dead. We brought her inside and she is warm She has water, is drinking, has food and appears to be trying to eat, she even laid an egg this morning.
    • She is breathing good, but heavy.
    • Her eyes are clear, but she keeps them closed like she is trying to sleep.
    • She can move her legs, but lays on her side and tries not to move.
    • Nothing "feels" broken to the touch
    • She can lift her head, but seems very, very week.

Her injury from the mink is minor and its seems to have healed rather quickly. very little blood. We think she may have been injured flying off the roost or during the scuffle.

Any advice?

BTW-The mink was captured in a trap this morning and ....{uh-hum}....re-located......

2. rockintheboat

May 19, 2014
    SW OHIO
    Update:
    We are feeding her with an eye dropper. The injury appears to be neurological. Could she have suffered some sort of a concussion? Anyone have one come out of something like Th's?

3. JensChickies

JensChickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2014
    Awww I'm sorry for your losses. Maybe she's in shock or has some internal injury. I once read a thread where the hen had a broken breast bone and she wasn't acting right either. I would just give supportive care as much as you can. Keep her warm and make sure she's doing all the normal stuff.

I just saw your last post....maybe she hit her head??? Poor thing. I know that if she's keeping her eyes closed, she could be in pain. If she's not eating you might want to tube feed her.

4. rockintheboat

May 19, 2014
    SW OHIO
    We are tube feeding her. She will drink, and seems to be happier when left alone (not handled or moved) we have seen some small improvements...small...but they are there. We don't feel yet that its time to put her down, However, if progress is shown over the weekend we may consider it.

5. JensChickies

JensChickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2014
    Oh good, I'm glad there is a little improvement. In humans head injuries can take a while to get better, I am sure chickens might be the same. Good luck with her and keep us updated.

Ps....tube feeding is such a great skill to have!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by