swolen eyes not eating lathargic chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickchicks, Jan 12, 2015.

1. chickchicks

chickchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    warrington uk
    Hi I've got an aura can about 1-2 years old had her about 3-4 months. She looked fine yesterday running with the others but today really swolen eyes can't open them. Won't eat or drink won't move sounds a bit rattly when I try n give her water can any one help .. I'll try for pictures

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  2. chickchicks

Jul 28, 2011
    warrington uk
    [​IMG]

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It sounds like a respiratory disease, such as mycoplasma (MG) or coryza. Is there a foul odor around the face? Have you added a new bird recently? These are chronic respiratory diseases that make carriers of the flock. She could have becomes stressed recently, possibly from cold weather, and started showing symptoms. Tylan or one of the tetracycline drugs from a vet, may help treat the symptoms. I believe that you have to get antibiotics from a vet in the UK. I would also clean the eyes with saline, and apply eye drops or ointment to help prevent secondary infections.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  4. chickchicks

Jul 28, 2011
    warrington uk
    Thanks I'm going the vets soon as two more birds this morning are showing the same symptoms. No new birds added nothing new in the pen at all. Same cleaners same bedding etc. There has been a little but of cold weather but nothing dramatic . I think she's not going to make it her eyes are three times the size this morning :(

5. chickchicks

Jul 28, 2011
    warrington uk
    Hi eggcessive. Thanks again I've been vets and got tylan for the girls to help them. Your advice is much appreciated

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Get a kitchen scale and start weighing them daily. If they aren't drinking, or start to lose weight you will need to tube feed fluids, to rehydrate them, then you will need to tube fluids mixed with baby bird food. Your vet will have a tube and syringe.

-Kathy

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    If they don't respond to the Tylan, talk to your vet about trying something like Baytril. Baytril is banned for use in poultry, so your vet might not be willing to prescribe it.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by