1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Swolen eyes

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by moomee56, Nov 19, 2011.

1. moomee56

moomee56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    So. Cal
    My bantam brahma hen has some puffy looking eyes. It apears as though she cannot open wither of them all the way, as she should. Are there any reason that this could be happening? There is nothing coming from her eyes, they are just puffy eyelids, she is otherwise perfectly healthy and always ahs acsess to clean water and food, however other wild birds do coem around. Not sure if that has something to do with it. Thanks for your help!

2. Chicken_Pauper

Chicken_Pauper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Southern California
    Can you take a picture and post it? (See Uploads).... that would help.

You can get Neosporin Opthalmolgic (Ophthamology) (SP?) ointment at the Feed Store.. for the eyes of animals... pull the lid out a little (clean hands) and run a little stream, ribbon of the antibiotic eye ointment onto the inner side of the lid... it will spread when she closes her eye.. I dab it a little to make sure it get "in" with a clean finger, gently. I would use it daily... for a week -- twice a day or three times a day. Be prepared, I paid almost $18.00 for the tiny tube of ointment.

Also, you can get VetRX.. which, if her eyes are really swollen has something about Eye Worms on the instructions... I didn't ever use it for that, but I noticed it on the insert instructions...

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by