Swolen Face

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by zinkie, Jul 24, 2013.

1. zinkie

zinkie Chirping

May 14, 2013
    Southern NH
    Hello All.
    My 5 month old Cuckoo Marian's face is swollen. I am not sure of the problem. It only seems to be one side. I have checked her for mites and see none. The other birds are fine. She is free roaming around and eating with no problem. She feels kind of hot, but I am not sure how to take a temp or even what normal temp would be. they have been roaming around... can a chicken get poison ivy? We do have a few patches on the property that we are trying to get rid of, not that I have seen them by it. The last picture is her other side.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. zinkie

zinkie Chirping

May 14, 2013
    Southern NH
    Anyone?

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Free Ranging Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It could be a symptom of mycoplasma or coryza. Does her head smell bad? Facial and eye swelling can be a symptom of sinus infection caused by the above diseases. Watch for other symptoms such as nasal/eye drainage, eye bubbles, sneezing, rattles when breathing, and looking sleepy and puffed up. Here is a link to a site for info: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

4. zinkie

zinkie Chirping

May 14, 2013
    Southern NH
    Thanks for the link. I will check out her head to see if it smells. I also have some Tylan, so I think I will start with that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by