Swolen vent area

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ddowson, Nov 24, 2012.

1. ddowson

ddowson New Egg

Jul 26, 2012
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    So, I went out this evening to lock up the chickens, collect the eggs, etc. and I noticed that my only ISA had laid a rather bloody egg, and there were a number of spots with blood in what I presume are her feces, Took a look at her backside, and she was a bit of a mess, took her in, bathed her up and took the attached picture... am I just dealing with a bit of a case of pasty butt or is this something else?

Thoughts?[​IMG]

2. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    That's her cleaned up, WOW, First thing I would do is keep her inside and keep her dry, check out her poop in the morning, she may be lacking Calcium, do you have oyster shells? Keep her separated and make sure she is eating and drinking, check her in the morning and see if she is still looking the same. Does she seem to be breathing funny? Does she seem to be Thin? Give as much information about her as you can, how about when has she been wormed? Does it look like there's scabbs on her vent? Does is look like her insides are coming out threw her vent? Check her crop make sure her crop empties in the morning, in the picture I can't tell if that is poop that's stuck to her or if it's scabbs. if she is pasty, add some plain Oatmeal to her food. That should help solid up her poop.. is she sneezing or coughing or anything unusually? Does her skin feel warm like she's got a fever? Check her eyes are they bubbly? Look her over can you see any mites/lice on her, check the belly and under the wings...Do a complete check up on her and try to give any more or any other signs that she may be giving that you haven't noticed yet and maybe we can narrow this down....

3. ddowson

ddowson New Egg

Jul 26, 2012
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    She seems in good spirits, eating and drinking well, you may be on to something with the calcium deficiency, everything is snow covered here, and she may be having a tough time fighting the others for her scratch... I'm going to try and keep her inside with us for a couple of days, she seems to be feeling a tad better today.

4. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    That's great, if she's lacking calcium give her some oyster shells but don't mix it in with the food, have it in a separate bowl and let her go at it as she needs too. if she doesn't eat it don't get discourage, chickens are pretty smart and will consume things that they know they are lacking.. So great she's doing better, how's her vent is it looking any better??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by