swollem sinis on turkeys, please help 4-h fair project

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by carolscorner, Jul 17, 2011.

1. carolscorner

carolscorner Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2011
    hi, we live in Ohio. I have been trying to help these poor turkeys. The kids are upset and so am I. I have 4 turkeys with swollen sinis, if it swells alot there eyes water up. I just can not get the swelling to go down. They don't have a runny nose so it's not draining. They have yellow poop, runny. They are still eatting well and drinking alot. I moved them to a outside pen. They have been in a chicken coop. I though it may be too dusty. One is lamb. he jumped off the roost and landed hard one day. But that was the same time all this started. I gave them agrimycin first.The swelling would not go down all the way,and they had the cough/sneeze. Did the ls50 cough/ sneeze is gone swelling had went down but it still stuck out pretty far. They were on ls50 for 10 days and I ran out.They have been off ls50 for 2 days. The lamb one is looking more swollen and not moving around as much. I need to get them back on something. What should I try now. please give me some advise.

2. Chickengal505

Chickengal505 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
    Have you tried warm compresses on the sinus area? Might help loosen up that junk. What type of ground are they on? All grass, grass and dirt, dirt ect. And Does the lame one apper to have any injuries?

3. carolscorner

Jul 7, 2011
    Oh thank you for replying 505! No compresses, but I did try to squirt salin nose sray up their nostril today. They have been on a wood floor with wood chip and a roost. They have been moved outside 2 days ago, which they have enjoyed. It's half grass half dirt.

4. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    Tylan 50 injectable for 5 days .05cc in the breast or neck. - Keep the chickens penned seperate from the turkeys. There are diease that will carry. Sorry, I dont know the name but I got a respitory diease a few years back from having them together and the turkeys sinus and eyes swelled closed until I hit them with tylan.
    Quote:

5. carolscorner

Jul 7, 2011
    By the way 505, I'm carol of carolscorner. This is the first forum I've done. I love animals. My children do 4-h. I'm not a fast typist and not very computer knowlegable. I'm outside most of the time. I have chickens, turkeys, goats, horses, rabbits, cats, and a turtle right now.

6. carolscorner

Jul 7, 2011
    hi red rooster farm, Thank you for the info. I hope this takes care of it. Fair is the 24th. I hope we can still take them. And do you know if you can do this orally? Or a powder Form? Or does injection work better.

7. carolscorner

Jul 7, 2011
    thanks red rooster farm. carolcorner

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by