srose0116

Chirping
Jul 27, 2020
Hello everyone!
My female welsh harlequin, Sugar, has been looking a bit puffy lately. I noticed it earlier in the week, but lately she’s been walking a little slower/wobbling. My friend also saw her stumble a little yesterday, but she might have just been tripping over the grass or something.
I am including pictures.
I can’t tell if there are any eggs stuck. I looked and couldn’t see any obvious signs of binding. I don’t know the last time she laid since I have multiple females. I am going to keep her separate for awhile to monitor. She hasn’t been over-mated because the drakes are separated. Her belly doesn’t feel particularly hard, kind of squishy/swollen. Her skin is also a little pink under her feathers.
She’s been acting pretty normal. Still has an appetite, and likes to play with her friends. Brought her in for a warm bath for like an hour just now. She splashed like normal and seems to be preening just fine.
Im starting to freak myself from what I’ve researched. From egg binding, to a hernia, to water belly or ingested metal. I want to bring her to a vet but can’t until Monday unless it’s an absolute emergency.
Has anyone seen this, or could tell me what they think based on the images? Maybe she’s completely fine and I’m just being over cautious. Any help would be appreciated. She’s my baby and I love her very much.

Attachments

• 67953E59-5CA1-4AF0-8148-237F7DEDCE70.jpeg
    67953E59-5CA1-4AF0-8148-237F7DEDCE70.jpeg
    765.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 1BA5DBBD-88E8-4792-9A7F-D2890EF409A0.jpeg
    1BA5DBBD-88E8-4792-9A7F-D2890EF409A0.jpeg
    265 KB · Views: 15
How old is sugar? She does look a little low and full but egg layers can look similar. If you can get her to a vet let them give her a good once over. Hopefully it isn't anything serious especially since she is eating and doing other things normal. If she seems stressed being separated from her family maybe bring in another female to keep her company?

How old is sugar? She does look a little low and full but egg layers can look similar. If you can get her to a vet let them give her a good once over. Hopefully it isn't anything serious especially since she is eating and doing other things normal. If she seems stressed being separated from her family maybe bring in another female to keep her company?
She’s just over a year now! I ended up bringing her back out with her flock once she finished preening. I have a camera on her and keep checking on her. They’re out in a barn, with shelter from wind, rain and snow. It’s cold, but not too bad.

Laying females can oftentimes possess a low-hanging abdominal area. This simply is because the skin is stretched during egg formation, and laying.
Without a proper physical examination, it is hard to say anything for certain over the internet. I would get her checked, for the reason that she is walking slower, and the abdominal region appears fairly distended.

In my personal experience, heart failure and liver damage resulting in ascites is one of the most common reasons for "palpable" abdominal distention in ducks.
Until you get her to a vet, as long she is eating/drinking/acting normally, simply keep an eye on her. If she expels anything abnormal, collect it in a sealed container for the vet.
Please do not get stressed worry about what this might be until you get her to a vet. So many conditions could be at play.

Last edited:
Laying females can oftentimes possess a low-hanging abdominal area. This simply is because the skin is stretched during egg formation, and laying.
Without a proper physical examination, it is hard to say anything for certain over the internet. I would get her checked, for the reason that she is walking slower, and the abdominal region appears fairly distended.

In my personal experience, heart failure and liver damage resulting in ascites is one of the most common reasons for "palpable" abdominal distention in ducks.
Until you get her to a vet, as long she is eating/drinking/acting normally, simply keep an eye on her. If she expels anything abnormal, collect it in a sealed container for the vet.
Please do not get stressed worry about what this might be until you get her to a vet. So many conditions could be at play.
Thank you! I will make an appointment for her early this week!

Back
Top Bottom