Swollen abdomen disease

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mickeymousears, Aug 27, 2013.

1. mickeymousears

mickeymousears Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    SLO; CA
    Hi all. I posted about my hen last night who I thought/think is egg bound. She's still hanging in there- no egg, still swollen :(

I spoke with the local chicken assoc president who informed me that many local chickens are coming down with this problem- and it's always hatchery chickens from the feed store. She said they eventually take up the posture of a runner duck. They still eat/drink/act normal. Does anyone know what this is? She believes it has to do with their liver.

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Are you talking about generalized swelling of the lower abdomen? Like from between the legs on back? If so, that is ascites, a build up of fluid in the body cavities. It is caused by various things: Heart/respiratory system problems, liver/kidney problems, cancer or other tumors, internal laying and other reproductive tract issues. Basically, there are many possible causes, none of which are good or easily treatable. The fluid can be drained, some people do it, and it makes the hen more comfortable for a time. But draining does not solve the underlying cause, so the fluid always returns and the end result is inevitably the same.

3. mickeymousears

mickeymousears Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    SLO; CA
    She didn't know the name- or really anything beyond its appearance. From my description she thinks that's what my hen has.

Except my hen is lethargic, now has a wet bottom, and I believe I can feel squeezing muscles. Yes she is swollen from her ribs to her vent it appeared suddenly yesterday

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by