swollen abdomen? egg bound or something else?

MarjorieBee

Hatching
5 Years
Aug 8, 2014
New Hampshire
This is a Jersey giant about 9 months old. Her abdomen seems to be swollen for three days I've been watching her. I can't tell if I just think it's swollen because it's pecked clean of feathers. She is my only one of this breed. My other big birds feel large in the same area but with their feathers, it's hard for me to tell. She is not acting sick, alert, active but with all my birds it's hard to see her eat and drink if she's laying. I have delt with prolapse vents before and it does not look like that. thinking maybe it was poop, Yesterday I did use prep H and felt in her vent, felt normal, not clogged or twisted. Couldn't feel anything hard. The swollen abdomen itself feels soft. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
[/IMG]

This sounds like ascites....if she is suffering from this you can use a needle to draw fluid from her...sadly it only will prolong her life..there is no cure..

I have one suffering from the same symptoms..maybe read up on this and it will confirm or deny that she is suffering from this dreadful problem...I hope for both of you that this is not the reason as to why she is ill...

Back
Top Bottom