Swollen Abdomen in 2 wk.Ameracauna chick? Update, need help!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jobmcd, Apr 3, 2009.

1. jobmcd

jobmcd Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    Updated pic of the chick with a very swollen abdomen. Is eating and drinking, watery poo with bubbles, crawling around vs. getting up to walk. Lies partially on it's side vs. on it's tummy. Abdomen is not hard
    in fact it feels mushy unlike the other chicks.

Any feed back is gratefully appreciated!

[​IMG]

2. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Do you notice it eating shavings? Take their food out overnight and see if it's abdomen goes down. Then the next night, put them in a container without shavings but with food (paper towels work well) and that should give you an idea.

3. gpamela3499

gpamela3499 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Near San Fran Ca
    Quote:I have a chick that looks just like yours. It had Wry neck but I gave it vitamins and it got better. One of the things I noticed when it had the problem was a huge mushy area around the gullet. Maybe if you hear nothing else you could try vitamins poly-sol human infant vitamins three drops 2x a day.

4. jobmcd

Mar 19, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    Quote:I have a chick that looks just like yours. It had Wry neck but I gave it vitamins and it got better. One of the things I noticed when it had the problem was a huge mushy area around the gullet. Maybe if you hear nothing else you could try vitamins poly-sol human infant vitamins three drops 2x a day.

Thanks for that info!! I'll have to look into that!! Furthermore, I really need to look up the anatomy of a chicken. I've spent so much time building the perfect coop, brooder, bator etc. that I've not spent too much time on what can go wrong, thing is if I read of all the things that can go wrong, we wouldn't have chicks now. I'm a chicken!

5. firedove

firedove Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Fitzwilliam NH
    you might get more help in the "Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures" part of the BYC forums. I wonder if your chicks problem is an infection. I know that when I got my chicks I had one that still had the umbilical stump and it was a little bloody spot. Mine healed fine but I'm sure that could be a route for infection. I know it's unwise to use antibiotics for everything but maybe you could find out what to give for infection if nothing else seems to be working. I'm just guessing here since I've never actually had a problem like that.

6. jobmcd

Mar 19, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    I keep a pretty good eye on these babes, they don't eat the shavings, they'll pick them up but don't consume it. They've been outside eating a couple of times during the recent warm days.

7. jobmcd

Mar 19, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    Quote:It's tummy does feel warm, like an infection would cause, I was just thinking it would be from her laying down, which it would be as well.

Little chick is two weeks old.

8. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    If it's from a navel infection, Aeromycin is a good medicin to use. It is a powder & goes in drinking water. If you ever spot a newborn with a raw navel, it REALLY helps to dab a bit of Aeromycin powder on the navel.
    You might also put Neosporin on its tummy in hopes that some will get absorbed and help.
    Best! [​IMG]

9. ODS-n-ENS FARM

ODS-n-ENS FARM Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    NH

Make sure it is the Poly-vi-sol without iron.

10. firedove

firedove Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Fitzwilliam NH
    yeah, unfortunately with how warm chicks are it's hard to diagnose an infection by feeling the skin since they will always feel a little hot to the touch.

If the poo becomes just liquid completely with no solid I'd start thinking a blockage of some sort. You said watery poo, does it still have anything solid to it or is it just a bubbly liquid? Maybe it did ingest something that you didn't see. In a little system like that it doesn't take a big something to block them up.

If it is a blockage and you have no chicken savvy vets around it is unlikely that you can do anything for the little guy. I'd say treat for infection (at this point it probably can't hurt) and hope for the best, unless someone comes on with a better solution. [​IMG]

If it stops eating and drinking and seems like it is suffering you will have to consider culling it [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by