swollen abdomen in hen under 1 yr

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kylekh7, Jan 20, 2013.

1. kylekh7

kylekh7 New Egg

Jan 20, 2013
    Cape Cod, MA
    Hello. I have been nursing my andalusian back to health over the past few weeks. She has improved majorly so I thought I would share symptoms and my treatment and see if anyone has an idea of.whats wrong with her.

It started with her holding her tail low. Then her comb went from huge and flopping very moist and red to dry an shriveled. At first I thought it was from the cold. I know andalusians are not cold hardy. So I picked her up and realized her abdomen was very swollen. I put her in a dog crate in the house and observed her for a while. Very lethargic and would not eat. Just stared into space. Then I gave her a bath. She seemed to like it. I started feeding her yogurt and olive oil. A few days passed (giving her a bath everyday) and she started to get perkier. I did notice that she hadnt been pooping. After a few days of yogurt she started leaking very green poop. A couple days later.she was pooping normally. The swelling is about half the size it was and her personality has come back. I continue to feed her very easy to digest foods, I grind up meal worms and sunflower seed mash cucumber and yogurt. Her water has vitamins and she has access to chick starter. She is very skinny. Her breast bone is veryyyy prominent. Ill try to post pics of her while she was at her worst.

Do you think it was a bowel obstruction? And the swelling will eventual go away? Has anyone experienced this type of recovery?

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Have you been weighing her? How much does she drink each day?

3. kylekh7

kylekh7 New Egg

Jan 20, 2013
    Cape Cod, MA
    She went from not drinking at first to drinking normally. I have her in a cage with a cage coop that makes it easy to tell. I do not have a scale, I should keep my eye out for one!

4. kylekh7

kylekh7 New Egg

Jan 20, 2013
    Cape Cod, MA
    Cage cup*

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Go buy a cheap food scale from Walmart or Target, that's what I use.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by