Swollen abdomen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Leo1, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Leo1

Leo1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Saco, Maine
    My 9 month old Brahma pullet has a swollen abdomen today. She hasn't been laying for a bit, but has been acting normally except for eating a bit less. I've been keeping an eye on her to make sure she's not egg bound, but where she was all swollen today I figured I should check. I gave her a nice warm bath and felt around in there. Couldn't feel anything. I assume it would be pretty obvious if there was an egg caught up in there? When I was feeling around she pooped on me and a bunch of hay came out, could that be the culprit? The other girls were also pecking at her in that area for some reason that I couldn't see, could that be the cause of the swelling?
    Thanks for any insight!
    Luanne

2. meekasmom

meekasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2010
    Elkhart, IN
    I have a hen that has the same problem and I posted about it but haven't gotten any replies yet. Hope it isn't anyting serious.
    kathy

3. dkosh

dkosh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Eastern MA
    Is her abdomen hard or is it squishy like it has fluid in it?

4. Leo1

Leo1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Saco, Maine
    Somewhere in between hard and squishy. The swelling does seem to have gone down some, but not entirely. She seems to be walking normally as well. She had a normal poop between the first post and now as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by