Swollen and red hot eye!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Tracy the chick, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Tracy the chick

Tracy the chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Uk
    My 16 week old exchequer has a swollen eye, its red hot to touch and swollen shut, Her feet are red hot and under her neck too so i think its a temprature.. She has no other symptoms apart from these. I have given her some asprin to try and bring temp down and bathed her eye with some warm salty water, anybody got any other advice because the side of her face looks like its going to pop... Shes inside the house next to a heater now....

2. Chicken_Pauper

Chicken_Pauper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Southern California
    VetRX mentions an "eye worm"?

Was she picked on, injured?

Is her eye closed and can you open it to see if pus comes out? Drain it? Normal Saline is a little salt in water... so you can clean off her eye (you did good).

Do you have antibiotics? Have you given her any? And, how about an antibiotic eye ointment? To put into her eye a few times a day to get this under control?

Is she drinking or eating? If you need to get water into her, do you know how to give it orally and avoid her windpipe?

Vitamin and Electrolyte water would be good. (unflavored Pedialyte, or the powdered electrolye and vitamin solution available at the feed store -- 1/8th teaspoon per gallon of water, some put in more)

I am sorry she is so sick. Use the Search here on BYC for maximum information on problem and treatments.

Good luck.

3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Research coryza.

4. Tracy the chick

Tracy the chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Uk
    Thank you.. She is eating and drinking totaly fine, i have given her some antibiotic for respatary desease (sorry about spelling) bacause thats all i have.. Im not sure how shes done it... She lives in an apple orchard with 15 other chickens so has accesss to lots of trees lol.. Its still really swollen this morning and her eye is so hot to touch its on fire... Im taking her to the vets at 11am today so thankyou all.. Any findings and i will let other people know who are experiancing the same problem xx

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by