Swollen and watery eyes with shivers and fever- rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chickroo1994, Dec 22, 2013.

1. Chickroo1994

Chickroo1994 New Egg

Dec 21, 2013
    I have a rooster with watery and a swollen eye, he seems a bit warm and he has shivers;it's his second day sick like this and we removed him from the rest of the flock, so far the rest of the flock is healthy. I checked his eye to see if it was worm, but none that I can see, we cannot afford a vet for him, but we would like to treat him as best as we can and save his life. I searched threads and found the suggestions on Vetricyn eye gel, to Terramycin eye ointment, and Tylan. Im so overwhelmed with what to choose. I'm thinking jus to flush his eye with saline and give him tylan 50 or just the saline and Terramycin? But he's got a bit of fever and chills! Will he die? Please help! Any feedback is greatly appreciated:)

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    He probably has a respiratory disease. I'd start using the Tylan50. Tylan50 is one of the best antibiotics for respiratory diseases, and should help with whatever he has. If he's cold, see if you can put a heat lamp over him, or move him into a warmer area. Make sure that he is eating and drinking enough; if he doesn't seem hungry, try tempting him with some moistened feed or scrambled egg.

If you start treatment now, there's a good chance that he live. Respiratory diseases, unless extremely severe (like Infectious Laryngotrachetis, etc) do not usually cause high mortality rates.

Good luck with him!

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Does he have a bad odor from his face which might be from coryza? MycoplasmaG and coryza are 2 of the most common respiratory diseases, and there is ILT which causes bloody mucus from the nose and mouth. I would also treat with Tylan 50 injections 1/2 ml if under 5 lb, 1/4 ml for bantam, and 1 ml if over 5lb, daily for 3-5 days. Give it into the breast muscle with a 22 gauge needle, Tylan Soluble Powder or oxytetracycline can also be used in the water instead. Here is some info on diseases: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

He definitely needs to be in a warm place, preferably in a house. Mine do best when I keep the room about 80 degrees for them. An additional heat source is good, too. You should also start weighing him daily, any weight loss will mean that you'll need to start tube feeding him.

-Kathy

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  5. Chickroo1994

Chickroo1994 New Egg

Dec 21, 2013
    Thanks so much for the reply and sorry for my LATE response- as soon as I read this I was on him. Hes soo much better now, 2 day inside the house in a kennel with a little heater set him on his feet. Thanks again!

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

7. Chickroo1994

Chickroo1994 New Egg

Dec 21, 2013
    Thanks so much for the reply. He did get well, after 2 days indoor in the warm, I cleaned his eyes with contact solution and put ointment around his eyes. I think if it comes back I'll go for the Tylan because it seemed like he was making a weezing sound, he opened his peek as if gasping for air when I did take him outside for a bit. The swelling of eyes went down and fe felt better to go outside after 3 days. He didn't stink and we saw no blood. Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by